Logo

65b evinrude charging system

M

mrcipp

" My charging system is puttin

" My charging system is putting out 20amps, I believe the max should be 10amps. The outcome is that the ignition wire from the switch is heating up and blowing the in-line fuse. there is nothing else hooked in the circut to cause a drain on the system. What would cause this? "

mrcipp....are you sure its a

mrcipp....are you sure its a 10 amp system?? Is it 65hp or 1965?? Even a 20 amp charge rate shouldn t blow the fuse. A short somewhere in your system will though.

" I'm not sure, the only m

" I'm not sure, the only manual I have only goes to 1971. The motor is a 1965, starflite 90hp v-4. "

"MrCipp.... The 1965 V/4 engin

"MrCipp.... The 1965 V/4 engines that incorporated a alternator stator under the flywheel were indeed a 20 amp system. I agree with Tonyaus that there must be a short or a flaw in the wiring somewhere.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe And Tony, I will

" Thanks Joe And Tony, I will have to go over the wiring and see what turns up. I have replaced some of the dried out wires in the harness. ( I work in electronics, so it's not a mystery to me)I must have missed something. THanks again for your help. Glenn "

" The 1965/90hp was not a good

" The 1965/90hp was not a good engine when it was new I know I worked on them.Go get another engine,something that isn't old enough to vote!! "

" Hey Jupiterzeke, It's ju

" Hey Jupiterzeke, It's just slightly younger than me, and I'm still running on all cylinders. Besides, anyone can go to the dealer and sign there paycheck away on new stuff, but could you get out to the middle of the bay and back for under $200. I can!
mrcipp "

" Hey Jupiterzeke, It's ju

" Hey Jupiterzeke, It's just slightly younger than me, and I'm still running on all cylinders. Besides, anyone can go to the dealer and sign there paycheck away on new stuff, but could you get out to the middle of the bay and back every weekend for under $200. I can!
mrcipp "

" You want to waste good money

" You want to waste good money on that old junk have at it,it's your money,you asked for advice and I gave it to you without the B/S I make my living fixing John/Rudes and have for over 40 years,I'm one of the 45 Master Techs in the world and I do know what I'm talking about! So go enjoy your boat,don't forget your cellphone medicines paddles and anchor. "

Zeke
It amazes me you still

Zeke
It amazes me you still have people willing to pay you with the attitude you have
Id say yes cut the B/S and keep the bad hair days to yourself ( if you have any left) LOL

"MrCipp.... (sigh), Wh

"MrCipp.... (sigh), What can I say? Apparently I gave you advice and included some bullshit. I too have been a master mechanic in the past, having passed that multiple choice test quite a few times, but it never carried much weight in my opinion. Frankly I got to a point where I considered taking that test a boring effort and avoided it.

Having started in this business back in 1961 (but retiring a few years ago due to becoming filthy rich), I too like to think that I know what I'm talking about... beginning to wonder now.

Personally, I don't work on those older engines but I can understand that there are many boaters out there that enjoy doing just that. So I wish you luck with your engine and If I can be of any help, Contact me and I will extend it. But be aware that I may just throw in some B/S with it (grin).

Clicking on my name above will give you my e-mail address.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Well Guys, the truth is I ha

" Well Guys, the truth is I have a newer boat and motor (93' Suzuki) but there's just some fun out of running around with a 38 y.o. outboard and boat. From my standpoint, half the fun is seeing if you can make it work. I'm no outboard tech, just a guy who likes to tinker with stuff. I appriciate all the help, and like to throw in a little B/S myself sometimes. So don't take it personal, you should hear the B/S I get about my 77' Maverick! Thanks again. mrcipp "

Back