Logo

45 hp Classic 50 tach not working

rscharfe

I have a 1987 Basstracker with

I have a 1987 Basstracker with a 45 hp "Classic 50"
The tachometer no longer works and I was wondering what is the best procedure to troubleshoot the problem. My local boat shop says just buy a new tach but before I do that I would like to make sure that it is truely bad. Any help or links for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

"is the battery being charged,

"is the battery being charged, also test the tach for power and ground when the key is on. the tach works off the rectifier for the charging system."

Thanks JB! I was able to conf

Thanks JB! I was able to confirm that there is power and ground at the tach when the key is turned on. I am not sure how to determine if the battery is being charged. I have two deep cyle batteries and I always charge them before and after taking the boat out. There is no alternator guage on the boat.

"put a volt meter on the batte

"put a volt meter on the battery before you take off, later when running at above idle check voltage again, if running voltage is higher than standing voltage the charge system is working"

"I am going to hook up the muf

"I am going to hook up the muffs sometime this weekend and check out the voltage. I have a gauge built in to my Lorance, I will let you know how it goes"

"the voltage stays about the s

"the voltage stays about the same before and after running the motor, 11.88 volts to 12.34 volts."

"I followed the yellow wires f

"I followed the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier, then disconnected both wires (AC) and the one DC wire. Then tested for continuity between terminals. There was no continuity with any combination of terminals. I assume this means that the rectifier is bad and needs to be replaced. Is this correct, and is there something I should do before replacing the rectifier?"

no continuity when testing on

no continuity when testing on black to ground and red to stator terminals means bad rectifier

Finally got my new rectifier a

Finally got my new rectifier and installed it today. Motor fires right up but tach still doesn't work. Guage reads about 500 with key off but drops to 0 with ignition turned on. Charging at 13.45 Volts so that is fixed. How do I test the tach or is it time to just buy a new one? Thanks
rs

"I found a bad resistor on the

"I found a bad resistor on the circuit board of the tach, but could not identify it. I had an electronics shop look at it and they "guessed" what it might be. I soddered in the new resistor and now tach is working. Does anyone know where it get a schematic for an '87 Tracker tach??"

Back