Logo

1972 85hp V4 Johnson Hydroelctric Drive no reverse

coolhand1701

"Hello,

I have a problem an

"Hello,

I have a problem and I can't seem to solve it. I have a 1972 Johnson 85hp V-4 with Hydroelctric Drive and can't get it to go into reverse after I put a new switch in the throttle control after losing the key. It took me a while to get switch wired in so the engine would run, but now the engine overheat buzzer keeps going and I have no reverse, or technically no neutral. What did I do wrong? Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew"

"you have it wired wrong,and y

"you have it wired wrong,and your warning horn,is grounding,allowing it to go off.you def need a service manual,or a clear wiring schematic."

Often on these the lobes on th

Often on these the lobes on the reverse gear and clutch dog wear round. The cure is to grind them square again with a dremel.People often try and use reverse as a " brake " for the boat which is a mistake.The other problem could be the shift piston stuck in the bore caused by debris in the oil ( broken filter screen ). If the problem is not electrical than I recommend a teardown. These things are nicely put together and quite simple really.

"Thanks,I have a service manua

"Thanks,I have a service manual which covers all 50 to 125 hp johnson/evonrude 1958 to 1972. But, I can't find a clear wiring diagram of the control box. Any suggestions?"

Go to the motor and jump direc

Go to the motor and jump directly to the wires ( going to the lower unit ) at the knife switches. Apply 12 volts to green to get nuetral and 12 volt to both blue and green at the same time to get reverse. Motor running of course.

Thanks for your help. I will

Thanks for your help. I will try and jump the wires directly and will also do a tear down as it probably needs to be done anyway.

Back