Logo

Engine oil for BMW B220

jack180

"Hi,
Was wondering if someone

"Hi,
Was wondering if someone knows what type of engine oil is specified for use in the BMW petrol B220 Motor as i have just bought a boat with one of these engines, and want to change the engine oil. i have sourced required filters for service, but cannot find any info on what Oil BMW recommend to use.
Regards,
Jack180"

Use standard 20W50 non synthet

Use standard 20W50 non synthetic. I use Valvoline XLD in my BMW 220 and change it and the filter every 6 months under normal circumstances if the boat is used each weekend.

If you have a sterndrive use Valvoline straight 30 weight oil (available from Repco) instead of the ATF it says in the service manual. It does not affect the operation of the clutches and you will extend the life of your leg.

hi there guys l just bought a STRYKE 21 boat with a B220 engine. Been sitting for a while. Prob is l run it on the lake and water seems not to be circulating hence temp rise. I have this opened the pipe at the rear end of the engine to see if the water is coming in or not. No water seesm to be coming in. I pulled with my mouth and leaves came out.

I have checked impeller is working. How can l test if its now pulling water ?

MAny thanks

Re: Use standard 20W50 non synthet

Use standard 20W50 non synthetic. I use Valvoline XLD in my BMW 220 and change it and the filter every 6 months under normal circumstances if the boat is used each weekend.

If you have a sterndrive use Valvoline straight 30 weight oil (available from Repco) instead of the ATF it says in the service manual. It does not affect the operation of the clutches and you will extend the life of your leg.

Why do you use Valvoline XLD? Give me short specific reason for using this.

hire data projector auckland

Re: Use standard 20W50 non synthet

on the BMW B220 where is the oil filter situated? i have the sterndive and im new to the inboard game, i've always had outboards

cmorris - Suggest you contact Rich Langtry at BMW Marine/V12 Engineering in Vancouver BC (204) 541-0022. I recently bought a BMW D190Z on a cradle. He steered me to the Mercruiser D10 Service manual which has my engine relabeled as a Mercruiser 636 TA. It is my Bible. I see your B 220 is a gasser. My D 190Z is diesel. The D 10 Service manual may not be for your gasser but I bet Rich will point you to the right one. I found my wiring diagram in the "Workshop Manual BMW D 190 Appendix". Google that but substitute BMW B220.

Back