Logo

PropSpeed Running gear coating

"Interesting. I could have use

"Interesting. I could have used that stuff last year. We had a really bad barnacle season on the Upper Chessie. Never heard of anyone using it, though.

Jeff"

"I work in a boatyard in the M

"I work in a boatyard in the Middle Bay, and we have been using this for 2 years with some very good to average results. The key to it being effective is applying it exactly as the directions call for. I am reapplying a fresh coat on a 45' Sabre that we did two summers ago, and the boat has been in the carolinas ever since, and when we hauled the boat, there was very little barnicles on the running gear.
This stuff really works, is expensive, but the trade off is less calls to your local diver, short hauls, and fuel consumtion, It is a no brainer to me."

Can somebody advise how to gua

Can somebody advise how to guage the difference in fuel consumption between Petrol 5.7L 320 HP Volvo Penta fresh water cooled on a Silverton 2006 Model 34C cruiser and the equivalent in diesel? This vessel is much cheaper than the diesel version. I have a single Volvo 165HP Diesel Leg Drive in my Markline 900 cruiser Flybridge and I can run around our lake for the weekend for about $40 Australian or 6 Lit/Hr approx 5 hrs mostly slow cruise at 1500RPM and occasional blast for 10 mins @ 2500 - 2900.

"Jim, you should have started

"Jim, you should have started a new topic, but anyhow.

A 34C Silverton weighs in at about 17,500 pounds dry - so alot of weight to plough through the water.

I don't have any test data for a single engine gas model in that weight class - they just all tend to be twins, but will post some numbers below from a similar model (35', 18250 pounds) which is the closest actual data I have that would be comparable to the 34C.

The first set of numbers are the model powered with a single 330 horse Cummins Diesel, the second with a pair of 6.2L 320 horse Mercruisers. I know that's not what you are looking at but you can compare fuel consumption/speed etc for the two different options on the exact same boat.

Points to note, double the horsepower does not equal double the fuel consumption. You could buy both of the Mercruisers for less than the single Cummins and still have gas money left over.

At 28 mph the diesel burns approx 20% less fuel that the twin gas motors to achieve the same speed, but at the lower end of the speed chart the savings are somewhat less than 10% - so really depends on "how you run" and how often.

Over the years I have looked at numerous power options for rigging boats. My personal conclusion is - unless you are running the boat upwards of 1000 hours a year, and for long periods when you do run it, then the gas engine is probably the "better" choice.

They are cheaper to buy new, repair/service and for the average boater (upto 200 hours a year of run time), you just wouldn't run the diesel enough to make up the initial cost difference in fuel cost savings.

250412.jpg

250413.jpg
"

"A point and question to Graha

"A point and question to Graham:
Would there be any merit to comparing a single diesel to a powerhouse gas engine like the 8.1L GM Vortec. I agree with your statement that it is important how you use the boat pending if you choose diesel over gas power. My point is that the 8.1L is rated at 370HP @ 4000RPM; and engine torque of approx. 500ft/lbs. The high performance HO's like the 6.2's offered seem to rate the HP at higher rpm....which do you feel is a better group to compare. I think the 8.1L may give you better gal/hr. and better at keeping the cruising speed lower and still on plane. I say this since, at the recommendation of Yanmar, the 8.1L was a better compare to deisel. Comments? (YEAH, I should have made a new post but I was following the topic by the gent with the Silverton."

"A few more points to consider

"A few more points to consider...a diesel engine will outlast a gaspot, diesel is much safer on a boat especially on offshore vessels where help is not always close at hand, a boat powered by diesel is very easy to heat with either a diesel stove top or forced air furnace. Diesel owered boats command a better resale price."

"Call Silverton customer servi

"Call Silverton customer service (856) 825-4117), they have the info you are looking for regarding fuel consumption. They also make that boat in IPS - it's now called a 36C.

Regarding PropSpeed, yes it works great and yes it only work if you apply it as instructed."

beware of the newer high outpu

beware of the newer high output diesels - they make gobs of torque but don't last as long as the standard output engines. A major repair bill and you could buy a complete long block gas engine. The resale value will be driven by the time on the engines as well as the hull they are in.

"Sorry guys, this one is going

"Sorry guys, this one is going to be long

I'm primarily an outboard guy, so can't really comment on reliability or exact service costs between the two fuel choices for motors not hangin' off the back of a boat.

Likewise, I have never looked as deep to see whether a high torque diesel is (better) than a high horsepower gas model.

I take the perspective of a rigger kitting out a particular boat for a specific client.

Bob and Tom may both want boat "X", but the way they will use it will ultimately determine what is the best way to rig it out - and the two boats, aside from the hull itself, may be nothing alike.

If you plan on keeping the boat for many, many years, than resale is not of prime concern - annual maintenace costs, rebuild/repower cost etc may be higher on the list. And vice versa for a boat you only plan on using for say 5 years and then trading in.

Regardless of how long you keep the boat, operating costs are going to dictate to a large extent, how often you actually get out and enjoy it.

Around the Great Lakes there are thousands of boats that never leave the slip - they are simply a "camper" sitting on the water.

Why? because after the owner bought more boat than they needed (and could afford) and paid the mooring costs for the year their wallet was empty and couldn't spring for the 20 gallons per hour (at 4 bucks a gallon last summer) to take the boat out for even a 1 hour cruise around the bay.

You can't buy a boat "backwards" - you determine what your needs are and then from that point, figure what you require.

Rollie is correct, diesel is safer and all else being equal, it will (normally) consume less fuel and commands a higher price in the used market. But that may not be an important factor for "you".

But if you are a "weekend cruiser" how long will it take you to break even with a diesel option.

A brand new 5.7 Merc with a Bravo drive from a reputable shop can be obtained for somewhat under 8K - a comparable diesel could run you 15-20K.

At the low end 7000 bucks worth of gas could be the equavalent of 4 or 5 seasons of running on the water for the "average boater". How do you tell "that boater" that they are better off with a diesel? Where's the economic's?

Yes, if you are doing regular runs down to the Carribean an IPS or Zeus powerplant (that costs more than a couple of my previous homes) may be exactly what you need, but you can cruise Lake Erie for a few hours each weekend, and one week a year with a gas powered I/O that you could totally replace 4 times or more before you equal the cost of that single Diesel powerplant....

Diesels are not really designed for "stop and go" boating. A diesel likes to get up to operating temperture and stay their - not idling along - not a hop in, fire it up, tear accross the lake and then shut down.

So fit your boat and it's powerplant to "your" style.

Lot's of us can give all kinds of advice and all of it is "right" and all of it is "wrong" depending on how you are going to play with your toy..."

"Graham points are noteworthy.

"Graham points are noteworthy.

Here's aa link to a "pro's" point of view, based on the been, there done that experience:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

It covers the topic pretty well. I'd suggest reading it and then, like Graham suggested, seeing what 'fits' your needs"

"thank you.

i just wish we&

"thank you.

i just wish we'd found that kind of advise 24 years ago when i made my "initial investment". Opted for the gas, primarily because nothing had to be added to the tool box and a fishing buddy who had a used Bertram with brand new 300 hp diesels (repowered a year before he bought it) just paid to rebuild the top end - ouch!! Even when the gaas jumped to $1.20/gal - yes, back a while - it was still cheaper, overall. When we rebuilt the gas engines at 3100 hours, we were still "ahead" by buying the gas engines. 15 years, charter fishing in the Ocean, and never had to be towed back in."

Back