Logo

Shutdown problems

bowrider

"Hey guys, I have a problem wi

"Hey guys, I have a problem with a 1971 60 hp evinrude. The manual states that I need to have power on the purple wire to the amp for it to start and I do. With engine not running I turn the key on and have power and turn key off no power. Motor runs good thanks to al of ya'lls help. With engine running and I turn the key off I still have power to the purple wire and the engine won't shut off. I have to choke it off.
I have trace out all wires and followed the schamatic in the manual and still can't figure out why it won't shut off with the switch. Can anyone please help?
Thanks"

"There should be a small diode

"There should be a small diode with its puple wire attached to the Ign terminal of the ignition switch.... and the purple/green wire of that diode should be attached to the purple/green wire leading to the shift switch.

This is part of the charging circuit that supplie voltage to the shsift switch when you're shutting the engine down. Without that diode, the rig would jump forward violently as soon as you turn the ignition switch off.

Without that diode, the charging circuit is not only supplying voltage to the shift switch.... it is also supplying voltage to the ign terminal of the ignition switch.

Solution... install the diode properly, correct the wiring, look for frayed wires that might be supplying voltage to that ign terminal.

70749.jpg
diode

Joe could the diode be bad? Th

Joe could the diode be bad? That is exactly how it is wired. I checked the wiring this morning. How can you tell if the diode is bad and if it is bad where can I get one? Thanks for the info.

"Diodes are easy to check. Dis

"Diodes are easy to check. Disconnect one end... the end at the switch ign terminal would be the easiest one to disconnect.

Hook up ohm meter leads to each end of the diode, then reverse those leads. You should get a reading in one direction, none in the other."

I have a 71 50hp johnson its h

I have a 71 50hp johnson its has setup for a few years I'm getting tro much fuel top carb over loads I' geting good fire from coils new plugs rebuilt the carbs set floats at 3/4 still overflowing and motor steady poping but will not start.

Back