Logo

Alpha 1 Prop Shaft Oil Seal Replacement

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
"Guys:
I am concerned about

"Guys:
I am concerned about the 20 year age of the two outer oil seals on the prop shaft of my Alpha 1 and am considering replacing them. My concern arises from the condition of the oil seal I just replaced that is attached to the lower half of the water pump impeller housing--the seal was considerably worn when compared to the new one.

The OEM manual calls for installing both of them with Loctite #27131, a high strength adhesive per Loctite's website. The inner seal is just rubber and the outer seal is steel and rubber. I can't find a small tube of it locally. Has anyone successfully used an alternative?
Thanks, Guy"

"The seals are the same part,

"The seals are the same part, just that the inner one is reversed. Pressure test the gear case. If you have the reservoir bottle, you'll need to loosen the nuts and back the upper part of the drive off of the gimbal to let the check valve do its job. If it holds pressure and vacuum, the seals are fine.

If you decide to replace them anyway, you can use any good thread lock- Permatex works fine, just use the same type."

"Try asking for "red locti

"Try asking for "red loctite" or loctite 271. It's available at most good auto parts stores. Also, Permatex Aviation Sealer works ok if you can't find anything else but its messy and needs to dry a lot longer."

""and needs to dry a lot l

""and needs to dry a lot longer."

Unless it's a hot day.

I have used Lok-Tite, Permatex thread sealer and the aviation gasket sealer and they all work well."

How do I change the Inner and

How do I change the Inner and Outer seals on the prop shaft of an Alpha One. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

"The bearing carrier needs to

"The bearing carrier needs to come off, the old seals removed, clean up the carrier and inspect the gears/bearings/drive, install the new seals and reassemble.

There are special tools for removing the carrier."

"Thanks Jim, but what sort of

"Thanks Jim, but what sort of special tools do I need and can I buy them at a Mercury Marine outlet?"

Back