Logo

90 hp Mercury Wonbt run above 4200 RPMbs

whatshisface

"I recently purchased a 3 cyl.

"I recently purchased a 3 cyl. 90 hp Mercury (0G838869) ELPTO outboard. This engine was taken on a weekend trip when it was new then put in storage for the next 6 years, sitting out in Arizona weather. 118 degree heat to 30 degree cold. When I got it there was no fuel left in the tank. I put 10 gallons of gas in it along with double the recommended carb cleaner, took it out and it suprisingly started right up. It idles smoothly but would not run over 4200 rpms. In about 10 minutes I got a alarm horn, which proved to be nothing. This alarm however made me think the problem was the rev. limiter which a local dealer told me existed on the motor, according to Mercury a week later this model does not have a rev limiter. I have rebuilt the carbs, replaced all of the fuel filters and supply hoses and added a cartridge filter at the tank exit hoping to eliminate the possibility of more crap getting into the fuel system. I was told that if the jets were dirty again, starving for fuel, pushing the choke should improve it. Pushing the choke boggs it down even more. The next suggestion was the fuel pump which I just rebuilt but it did not have any obvious damage. After reading some post here I now have the idea that it could be the stator and not a fuel problem at all. My question is could the stator go bad just stitting out in the heat for 6 years? What if the ohms check right, is there still a chance that this could be my problem?"

"put a timing light on each pl

"put a timing light on each plug to make sure it fires, due a compression test, clean all main jets again. mice can do damage"

"Thank's JB, The plugs are

"Thank's JB, The plugs are firing, the compression is great, must have been junk in the main jets because it is running good now."

"My recently purchased 90 Merc

"My recently purchased 90 Merc. 3 cyl. has a after market jet drive. I want to replace it with a prop. I have a line on a rebuilt lower unit for what seems to be a good price, $1250. Does any one know if there is any market for this jet drive? In Arizona they are pretty rare except up on the Colorado river. Any suggestions?"

Back