Logo

1965 Johnson Meteor II 90 HP guidance needed

jeacre

"I bought a 1960 Lone Star V H

"I bought a 1960 Lone Star V Hull that has a 1965 Johnson Meteor II 90 HP. I replaced the pinion gear on the starter and the engine fired right up. I have had the boat on the water exactly one time. The engine ran great through about five gallons of gas, then suddenly the ammeter showed approx a 10 amp draw. Up to this point the ammeter had shown a good charge, then leveled out slightly above zero. I ran the boat back to shore, loaded it up and took it home. For a time I could charge the battery and the engine would fire up, but the ammeter showed a 7-10 amp draw. With the key on and engine not running the ammeter also showed a 7-10 amp draw. Now if I charge the battery the starter doesn't engage or turn over. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,
James Acre"

"I would check the starter sol

"I would check the starter solenoid,..and the starter.,then,a thorough ck of the wiring...might just be a wiring prob under dash."

"Can I bypass the solenoid and

"Can I bypass the solenoid and jump the starter like I used to on my old Chevy? By the way, what do you think of these old Meteor engines?
Thanks for your quick post."

"James, Does that motor have t

"James, Does that motor have the external voltage regulator, like the cars in the sixties did? If so, there is an electromagnetic switch (one of the coils in the voltage regulator)that closes in order to connect the V-R to the generator. If it sticks shut, I would think you would get a drain on the battery all the time.

You should be able to jumper the solenoid like you did your chevy. The solenoid probably looks like a ford solenoid (remember the ones on the fender apron, near the battery)."

Thanks Chris. I've been o

Thanks Chris. I've been out of town and just checked the board. I'll purse your suggestions and get back to the board. Thanks again.

Back