Logo

b72 Mercury 800 80hp open throttle problems

greenlakebtr

"Hello, I have a 1972 80 hp m

"Hello, I have a 1972 80 hp mercury 800 thunderboldt outboard engine. the problem i am currently having is when i put the throttle forward it accelerates a little bit, and as i push the throttle more forward to open it up and run full throttle the engine starts to "mis-fire" or sputter as it reaches more power, the result is horrendous. the whole engine 'seizures' and also shakes the transom. could this be a problem with the throttle/idle screws or a dirty carburator? or any other ideas? i am stumped...please help so i can take the boat out soon..."

"dies or sneezes means its run

"dies or sneezes means its running lean/lack of fuel. most likely dirty carbs, remove and clean, be sure all jets are clear, main jet should unscrew from bottom of carbs. NO fuel means no oil to those cyls, don't force the engine to run"

"I just bought a boat with thi

"I just bought a boat with this motor on it. When it came time to put the boat on the trailer, I was unable to lift the motor up. I had the control in neutral, but it still wouldn't release. Is there something that I was doing wrong? Fortunately this was the only problem I encountered with the boat and motor today. I couldn't believe how well it ran."

I thought with those motors ne

I thought with those motors neutral locks out the tilt - also pretty sure a friend of mine with manual tilt kept his in forward gear to move the motor (was an 82 merc 800 if I recall)

Back