Logo

Mercury 50 Wont start

kanz

I removed all the plugs and ch

I removed all the plugs and checked for spark and noticed only top 2 had cylinders a spark. is this normal? I sprayed gas directly into one cylinder and she still wouldnt fire. any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Jimmy

"Thanks for your help guys. I

"Thanks for your help guys. I have a update. I sprayed gas into the top carburator and she started but did not continue to run.I also switched the 2nd and 3rd coils and that did not make a difference. still only the top 2 cylinders had a spark. any suggestions? Thanks,

Jimmy"

Try swapping the stator leads

Try swapping the stator leads and see if the engine has spark on the other cyls.
Red and Blue to Red/white Blue/white

So blue to blue red to red...you may have to add to the wires...but its not permanent.

TheMarineDoctor

Well I found the problem today

Well I found the problem today. It was a broken wire from the stator. replaced the wire and the motor fired right up.

Jimmy

hi i have a1978 mercury 50hp b

hi i have a1978 mercury 50hp blueband 4 cylinder cdi unit type was running fine but lost spark to all 4 plugs power goes into engine auto choke work fine starter turns fine can you help thanks john

i have a merc. 50hp that will

i have a merc. 50hp that will turn over but not crank. spark plugs seem not to have fire going to them. what could be the problem. please advise me. we just got this boat know nothing about it.would like to get running.

Back