Logo

LM318 Plug Wires

barracuda

"What type of plug wires are b

"What type of plug wires are best for marine applications? Specifically, Chrysler 1968 LM318 with a updated stock prestolite distributer(prestolite electronic ignition module installed). Is solid copper core correct for this application? Thanks, Jim B."

"Solid copper is illegal and w

"Solid copper is illegal and will gain you nothing. Go to speed shop and get a set of good wires, high performance street legal, Accel, MSD, Taylor, ect. A high quality set is great for quick cold starting in damp marine enviorments and for peak performance. Well worth the extra cost."

I use wires from a Chevy 454 t

I use wires from a Chevy 454 that go over the manifolds instead of being jammed between the valve cover and exhaust manifold.

Jeff

"I'm using a Borg Warner S

"I'm using a Borg Warner SuperMag CH810 7 mm wire custom wire set on my LM318. I bought them at Pep Boys 2 years ago and had a hard time finding them online today, but here is a link with info on the brand: http://www.bwdbrand.com/web_app/Main/ProductPage.aspx?ID=39. The box says the Borg Warner Trademark is licensed to BWD Automtive.

It's a kit so I used 90 degree boots at the plugs instead of striaght boots due to the tight fit at the plugs under the manifold.

I'm 100% in synch with FastJeff on the wire routing. Here are before & after photos.

[Now the world knows I didn't go with the traditional Chrysler blue when I re-powered.]

Happy Spring! (I'm installing a new cutlass bearing today.)

original wire routing
70931.jpg

revised (& recommended) wire routing
70932.jpg
"

"Here is the 90 degree spark p

"Here is the 90 degree spark plug boot detail that goes with the above images
Chuck

70936.jpg
"

Back