Logo

1972 Mercury 110 or 98 steam and water

andrewlarge

"I see steam and water coming

"I see steam and water coming out of "pee" hole

Outboard belonged to Grandfather.
The lower end was frozen up. I replaced it with the correct lower end. I replaced the impeller.
Unit pumps water fine but I see some steam. I have not tried this unit in the water.
It was used in salt water.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Andrew"

Famous for a melted washer at

Famous for a melted washer at the top of the water tube and requires pulling the power head to correct.Not at all a difficult task.

"What washer is melted?

[ur

"What washer is melted?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=62430

Above is the OEM Mercury diagram.

Please identify for me what part that you call a "washer at the top of the water tube that is melted"?

I do not doubt what you are saying but I would like to have this part on hand when I pull the power head. I'll also have a spare gasket for the bottom.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me
happy.gif

Andrew Large}"

"The Unit is a 1972 Mercury 9.

"The Unit is a 1972 Mercury 9.8 or 110.
The serial number is 3448264.

Here is the top of the web site.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectModels3.asp?type_id=MERC

This web site is a complete breakdown on the Mercury parts for that model and serial number range. It is exactly the same as my mercury dealer's computer system.

I stopped by my local Mercury shop, Steele Creek Marine, on my way home and discussed your idea.

Owner stated he had never heard of this part and we spent 45 minutes looking at the diagrams to find it.

Please identify this washer?

Thanks,
Andrew Large"

Under " bottom cowl and ad

Under " bottom cowl and adapter plate " it is item #2. I would hurry and find another dealer.Then again I have repaired / found this problem when dealers with the big flashing service sign were stumped

"I also have a '72 merc 9.

"I also have a '72 merc 9.8 model 110. I want to take off the L/U to check the impeller, because I started the engine and the water pumped fine for about 5min and quit. I see one nut/bolt holding the L/U on. Most people say when you take the right stuff loose the L/U slips right off. Or should i check something else 1st. Dummy proof instruction PLEASE."

Back