Logo

Which is your prop size and brand Piranha AQ125

"I came across a brand of prop

"I came across a brand of propellers called Piranha that makes some really interesting props. They're a removable blade, cupped, composite propeller. Does anyone have experience with this brand or a similar setup? Also, I wanted to get a consensus as to what all sizes of prop people are using in their boats; I'll be running a 14x19 cupped."

"I know of Piranhas, but never

"I know of Piranhas, but never have used one.

Regarding consensus as to what size of propellers people are using in their boats, I think it is an almost impossible task. There are so many variables in a boat (size, weight, power plant, expected top speed, and boat usage being the main ones) that I think you will see a wide variety of propellers being used. And even pitch, diameter and cup are only three factors in a propeller. You also have to consider the width of the blade; whether or not the porpeller is skewed; whether it has positive or a negative rake, or no rake at all; whether is heavily or slightly cupped; etc.

In my case, I have a 22' Double Eagle boat built in B.C. (Canada) with a Chevy 350 (ex-AQ311), a 280 drive, and I use two different propellers, both 15 x 19: one is long hub, wide blade, uncupped and positive rake; and the other one is short hub, cupped, rarrower blade than the former."

"I have tried them, ONCE! And

"I have tried them, ONCE! And will never again! You get what You pay for. May be usefull for trolling, but there it stops. Bad economy, not very lasting, blades flex during acc......
The only positive I might say about composite props in general is they does not dammage prop shaft and gears when You hit something, the blades normally disappears!"

Back