Logo

200hp johnson melting stator

markmiller

The "stuff" that is a

The "stuff" that is around my stator is melting. I have a very hard time starting the 1989 motor. Engine starting fluid helps but the spark doesn't seem strong enough. A marine dealer told me that something is causing the stator to melt. I know my starter is barely working and not turning the motor over very fast and making an unusal mooing noise. I plan on replacing the starter and stator but what would cause the stator to overheat?

Mark I had mine replaced seve

Mark I had mine replaced several years ago along with the altenator (charging system). A friend of mine had the same year 200 and he fried the whole harness 1K to fix. I told him my RPM gauge would intermitently drop to zero. Which was exactly what was happening to him before he cooked it.

"Mark.... If your flywheel has

"Mark.... If your flywheel has holes around the edge, near the ring gear, that stator is a 35 amp stator which runs extremely hot.

The stator has small coils which pertain to the charging system. The larger black coils supply approx 300v AC to the powerpack(s).

As far as I'm concerned, it is an engineering goof. Under the most normal of circumstances, it will in time cause the melt down of those larger black coils. This causes a voltage drop to the powerpack(s) resulting in erratic ignition, and eventually.... no ignition!

When the stator cools off, it may spring back to life once more, but as it heats up, it becomes erratic again. The time comes when the voltage output is zilch even when cold.

Now, if your engine has the lower amp stator, and that begins to melt down, that is usually caused by a faulty rectifier. The rectifier converts the stators AC to DC voltage which is needed to charge the battery.

If the rectifier is faulty, the voltage backs up into the stator resulting in a overheated stator, bringing into view the same problem... failing ignition.

Note that usually a rectifier fails due to reverse polarity... someone hooked up a battery of a charger backwards., Rectifiers will not tolerate reverse polarity even for a second.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back