Logo

Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

V

vulcan

" I have just been given a boa

" I have just been given a boat that has a Evinrude Fisherman 6HP engine on it. I don't know the year or model of engine but what would be the safe petrol to oil mixture for it. To be honest, the chap who I got it from probably didn't even measure the ratio that accurately, but there again he probably only used the engine once or twice and I'm now running it on the fuel mix that he used.
Question is, would to much oil make it difficult to start from fully warmed up?
Another question is, how do I use the lean/rich control? "

"Vulcan... You can safely use

"Vulcan... You can safely use 87 octane fuel, and use the 50/1 mixture. There should be a model number on a plate located on the port transom bracket, also a core plug on the engine with that same number. We can tell the year from that number. Carb adjustments as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back