Logo

No oil pressure 79b 454 marine power

kman

I have no oil pressure on my

I have no oil pressure on my starbord engine.
I have determined the guage & sending units are functioning properly. the engine is not using any oil & the oil is clean. The engine starts & runs without much clatter. My guess it is the oil pump is not working as i noticed before it quit it only had about 20 lbs pressure.
Removing the engine is out of the question. I do have room to drop the cast iron oil pan/ bottom of the motor down 5-8 inches I believe i can remove it. My real concern is will re installing the pan with the new 4-piece gasket be an imposssible task? Or is there something I haven't cosidered that will make this impossible.
Could no Oil pressure be a result of something other than a bad pump?
any suggestions
thanks kman

" Kman
Before I did anythig e

" Kman
Before I did anythig else, I would remove the distributor and check the oil pump drive shaft. If the blade is broken off or the distributor is damaged, it could stop the pump drive shaft from turning. Also I have seen cases where the plug at the back of the camshaft bore in the block pops out. This allows the oil to run back down into the pan without circulating or building pressure. It's no easier to check than the pump, but it might be your problem.
Good luck "

" You can check the pump throu

" You can check the pump through the distributor with a priming tool that can be picked up at any autoparts store. It is operated with a power drill. Just pull the distributor, insert the priming tool, and spin. Watch your pressure gauge. If it doesn't move, pull the sender and try again. If oil does not come out, more than likely, the pump is toast. "

" gentlemen
blast!!!! after 1

" gentlemen
blast!!!! after 16 hours of labor, many scraped knuckles & arms I repalced the oil pump. Now I have a brand new oil pump cranking out about 4 lbs oil pressure on the rev.
I was able to prime unit before & after installation. I am pumping oil but not pressuring up. what is strange is the motor seems to run well
no noticable clattering even w / rpms.
I was not able to see if the camshaft plug had fallen out as the crank shaft obstructed my view, as mention above. Any other suggestions or trouble shooting idea's would be appreciated
kman "

" Your engine should probably

" Your engine should probably be equipped with a remote oil filter assembly as well as an oil cooler. Many times the case is that the oil filter bypass or the filter bracket is clogged and if your engine oil cooler is clogged you would incurr the same problem. (Did you change the filter?) . Dissassemble and clean oil lines and if your oil cooler is old, you should probably change it. You can also contact me at 1-800-748-7739 if you need any parts. thanks, gabriel "

" PLEASE HELP,SIMILAR SITUATIO

" PLEASE HELP,SIMILAR SITUATION MY DADS 98 MARINE POWER 454 STARBOARD ENGINE , STARTER FAILED PARTS STORE GAVE HIM WRONG ROTATION STARTER UPON ATTEMPTING TO START ENGINE POPPED & WOULD NOT START, REALIZED WRONG STARTER & INSTALLED CORRECT UNIT NOW THE PROBLEM ENG STARTS & APPRX10-15 PSI OIL PRESS AT IDLE W/RPM'S INCREASE OIL PRESS. FLUCTUATES & BOUNCES THEN DROPS TO 0 & ALARM SOUNDS & AUTO SHUT DOWN OCCURS. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WRONG ROTATION COULD HAVE CAUSED PUMP TO FAIL OR PUMP DRIVE TO BREAK AS DISTRIBUTOR GEAR LIFTED DUE TO OPPOSITE DRIVEN DIRECTION,PLEASE ADVISE AS BOATS IN FLORIDA & I'M IN SEATTLE PLANNING A REPAIR TRIP, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. JOE "

Back