Logo

Chris Craft 350Q fresh water pump

stephan

" I just removed the drive bel

" I just removed the drive belt for the water pumps to replace it on the Starboard side and noticed that the "fresh water pump" is very hard to turn and almost feels like it binds up or grabbs then lets loose. Feels like gears instead of bearings.

The "coolant water pump" spins freely like a car water pump.
I went one step further and took off the Port side belt and it has the same "fresh water pump" feeling as the Starboard.

Is this normal, or do I need both Fresh water pumps?

Thanx for any help here.

Stephan "

" The best thing is to replace

" The best thing is to replace both impellers if they have not been replaced in the last two years. While you have the pumps apart you can check condition of pump. They should turn with some resistance then free up a bit, etc as this is the impeller doing its job, however its a simple job, fairly inexpensive and a great chance to have the peace of mind that you are starting the season with "new" pumps. Good luck and post your results. Kim "

" "The best thing is to re

" "The best thing is to replace both impellers if they have not been replaced in the last two years."

The Engines have only 600hrs on them. The boat was used mostly as a live-a-board.
I don't think they are binding up, rather the same type of resintance of grabbing all the way around when spun. If feels like the "impeller" is rubbing against a housing, possibly to create a seal to bring fresh water up to the pump.
This is what I was wondering. Is that feeling normal?

Thanks
Stephan "

" I think you have the fresh w

" I think you have the fresh water and sea water pumps confused. The brass impeller pump is the one mounted on the engine adapter housing almost like an automotive pump and this is the fresh water circulating pump.Circulating pumps come in left hand and right hand rotation. The rubber impeller pump is mounted on a bracket. Rubber impellers should be changed seasonally and the brass impellers dont need to be changed. If you suspect that your bearings are damaged which is most likely the case you can give me a call at dania marine at 1-800-748-7739 and I will be more than happy to help you. thanks, gabriel "

Thanks Gabriel

It is the F

Thanks Gabriel

It is the Fresh water pump with the Rubber inpellers. The Coolant (Antifreeze) pumps are fine.
I ordered the impellers already and the Brass 'Cam" for these pumps.
I did find that the Starboard fresh water pump has ALOT of calcium build up in it causing the grabbing feeling. Once apart I chipped away the calcium and by doing so chipped on tooth from the Cam that I ordered. Oops.
Thank you for all your help. This boat is sure teaching me a few things..

Stephan

"Hi there, I was looking at Ch

"Hi there, I was looking at Chris Craft postings and ran across yours...
I have a 1972 Catalina with twin 350Q's. The raw water pumps are Sherwood D 05 and they are discontinued. I found the pump, but when taking the pulley off it had a previous crack and I finished it. No body but no body has a pulley. Do you know of a replacement pump? Or pulley? It shouldn't be that hard to line up, but apparently no one around here knows of anything.

I appreciate any help, in any direction!

Thanks tons! Ken."

Back