Logo

Evinrude waterpump removal

T

tim barnett

I have a 1957 7.5 hp evinrude

I have a 1957 7.5 hp evinrude and i cant get the lower unit off to change the water pump. I took the 4 screws out and the shifter screw out but the unit only drops down a couple of inches and stops. It acts like the shifter is still hooked up.when i pull the unit down or push it back up the shifter handle moves. How do i get it off?

"Tim.... I see you found your

"Tim.... I see you found your error in posting within someone elses post. Below is a copy of what I entered there:

---------------------

Tim.... You're entering your problem under someone elses topic where it will get buried. Go to the previous page, scroll to the bottom. You'll see where you can click on that large button to enter your post under your own topic heading. Re-enter your question if needed.

However, while I'm here... some of those older small horsepower engines have brass shift connector with two 3/8" hex head bolts (remove one), others have a weird looking connector that has two screws (remove one).

Most have a shift rod that extends up to the shift lever internally. In this case, it's necessary to remove the powerhead in order to remove the two nuts that retain that rod.

----------------

Joe
"

Back