Logo

Water pump on 60 Evinrude working or not

J

JBRFun1

I have a good running 3 cyl 1

I have a good running 3 cyl 1971 60 hp e-rude. I don't think the waterpump is working corecctly but my manual isn't specific. I believe I'm supposed to get water coming out of the "blow holes " on the rear of the lower unit just below the powerhead cowling. I put a water jacket on the intakes and water runs out of the small holes in the bottom but the low holes up top onlyu show a small amount of wispy exhaust. Blown water pump? This is Electric shift.
Jim

its alot easier to pull the l

its alot easier to pull the lower unit and check or replace the pump than it is to replace the power head because it was run without water. you might want to replace the thermostats as well. if the powerhead isnt getting water it doesnt take but a few minutes to burn it up

"JBR.... That housing is calle

"JBR.... That housing is called the exhaust housing. Those two holes are exhaust relief holes, the main purpose of which is twofold.

The first is to allow exhaust to escape when the engine is stationary.... otherwise the engine would choke on its own exhaust fumes.

The second purpose is to allow excess water to flow out should the water cooling space between that housing and the inner exhaust housing reach that point. If that water had no place to escape, it would find its way into the cylinder areas.

When you slow down your boat, notice the water rolling, rushing up towards the boat in back of you. It's also rushing up, so to speak, under the water and it will enter the prop exhaust area. That causes excess water within the exhaust housing. Notice how the water gushes out those two holes at that point.

If your warning horn operates but hasn't sounded to indicate a problem, there is no cause for alarm. However it is a good idea to inspect and/or replace that water pump assy every couple years rather than to have it fail in the middle of a family outing.

To check the warning horn, have the key in the ON position, then ground out the heat warning sensor (the tan wire) that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The horn should sound. If it doesn't, find out why.

Joe
"

I have found that no water co

I have found that no water comes out the top exaust holes using a water jacket. but when the engine is in the water backpreasure causes water to trickle out the top exaust.

" I have a 93 Johnson 60 hp th

" I have a 93 Johnson 60 hp that has not been run in a couple of summers. I just took it out and cleaned it up, drained the old fuel and filled it up with fresh fuel, then cranked it. The "weep" hole has water coming out of it, but the "engine overheated" alarm sounds constantly. (even after the motor has "cooled off") What is wrong? "

Back