Logo

for Jim Reeves

dave

Contributing Member
How can I check ignition coil

How can I check ignition coils on a 1962
Johnson 40 horse. Changed points and condensors.
When first started both plugs had spark. Ran for about five minutes and now only one side has
spark. Swapped plugs around and same side doesn't
have spark.

"Dave.... Although I could sin

"Dave.... Although I could sing like Jim at one time, the name is Joe (grin).

Check the points.... remove the flywheel, clean the points with either laquer thinner or acetone, set to .020 with the rubbing fiber portion of the points aligned with the flywheel key.

Be sure to torque the flywheel nut to exactly 105 foot pounds, otherwise the flywheel key will shear, throwing the engine out of time. Should this happen, clean up the flywheel and crankshaft tapers before attempting to install the flywheel.

Many of those older engine suffered what is normally called armature plate rock. See below.

(Magneto Armature Plate)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible.

Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions.

Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.

You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Sorry about that Joe.(lol

Sorry about that Joe.(lol)
Had a good chuckle on that myself.
Can the coil be checked with an ohm meter?

"Dave... The coil can be check

"Dave... The coil can be checked with an ohm meter as follows.

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

Joe
"

A continuity check with an oh

A continuity check with an ohmeter does not find shorts between windings. Have coils tested properly with a MERCTRONIC test unit. Better yet install new coils you will not regret it.

"I've found no continuity

"I've found no continuity in coil windings many times, but have encountered a short only once. A dead short, when using a ohm meter shows up as a full meter reading, at least that was my experience.

Joe
"

I would like to know the valu

I would like to know the value of a 1926 Seahorse ourboard motor with display stand that I have for sale.

"Kevin.... Your post is buried

"Kevin.... Your post is buried under someone elses post. Back up to the extreme bottom of the previous page where you will find a button that will allow you to enter your own post which will appear at the very top of the topics.

Joe
"

Back