Logo

1969 55hp Evinrude cutting out

scott

Contributing Member
" In search of some informatio

" In search of some information I found this bulletin board and there seems to be a few experts here... so I thought I might try to save myself some time and pose a question.

I am working on an outboard that belongs to my bank manager (gotta try to keep her happy!). Model 55973A, Serial C51800, I believe this is a 1969 55HP Evinrude. It will start and run for about 15 seconds then run poorly and quit. When it is restarted it will run for 10 seconds then quit, then 5 seconds and quit, and so on until it just won't start.

I have no prior experience on this engine or any early model Evinrude. But, after going through the carbs and checking the compression, it seems to be an electrical problem, but only after it warms up just a bit. Could this be problem with the electronic ignition module or with the trigger coils, or otherwise? As well, worth noting is that it does not charge the battery any more (no stator output), although this problem has been tolerated.

This engine is to be fixed in the cheapest way possible. Any suggestions/prior experience is appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott "

Pull the flywheel and set the

Pull the flywheel and set the points at 0.010". Clean the rotor and distributor cap. Replace the anti-reversing spring.

" But this motor has electroni

" But this motor has electronic ignition... So there will be no points, right? Am I wrong?

Scott "

Scott...this motor does have

Scott...this motor does have electronic ignition but also has points. Also known as breaker point CDI. I would get under that flywheel first check/clean/gap the points clean dizzy cap & rotor and if that doesnt help go to the coil and then amplifier (electronic module)

" Ok, This is now unfamiliar t

" Ok, This is now unfamiliar territory for me, but I'll give it a shot. I have experience with points, (some) and can often work my way through CDI's without problems... But breaker point CDI, it's easy enough to understand the concept, so I have the battle half won. I'll take 'er apart today and let you know how it goes!

Scott "

" Sparky and Tonyaus,

Good

" Sparky and Tonyaus,

Good call on the points! Naturally, with me being younger (31, I guess younger being a realive term, to this motor...
) and almost all my experience with CDI with a trigger coil of some type and/or some type of exciter coil, I would have never guessed that an "Electronic Ignition" would use a mechanical switching method to trigger a spark...

Anyway, after yanking the flywheel it was obvious that there was very little gap, certainly not the required .010" gap. So, after the slightest manipulation I found that one of the bakelite or plastic point lever was previously cracked and then broke completely in my hands. The other point lever still appears intact, however, I think it will be wise to replace it all.

So, can anybody direct me to somewhere who may have a set of points for this motor, preferably in Canada?

Thanks again guys!

Scott "

Scott...im in australia so i

Scott...im in australia so i cant be specific about where to get points but your local johnson/evinrude dealer should be able to get them in for you. the original part no. is 383655 but this has more than likely been superceded. You can also start a new post directed to joe reeves as he may have these in his stock.

" If you are in southern ONTAR

" If you are in southern ONTARIO i can help.Have lots of parts motors, plus more experience than your age. "

"Sparky,

I have talked to t

"Sparky,

I have talked to the person who owns the boat and they have authorised me to replace the damaged stator, a worn starter drive and the points. I have ordered the points, but I am in search of a stator now, used would be prefered because of the cost advantage. I also need a starter drive but I hardly see the advantage of going used so I would prefer new. I am located in Huntsville, Ontario. Phone 705-789-0262 email [email protected]

Thanks!"

Back