Logo

Shifting problems

P

paul swanson

Here's a two part ? i hav

Here's a two part ? i have a johnson 115 v4 is this correct thats what the lid said someone said that it had to be a v6 to be a 115 ?2i've adjusted the cables every which way can't get all gears can get forward and neutral or rev and neut but can't get all three at the same time have had it close but can't adjust it out threw the cables so i droped the lower unit every thing seems to be all right down there did find 1 thing i'm not sure about at the top of the shifting rod the nut the linkage pins on to was not threaded all the way down is it supose to be or is this to adjust somthing thanks for any help

"Paul.... A 115hp engine is a

"Paul.... A 115hp engine is a V/4. Come back with the model number if you don't know what year it is. There are different types of shifting rod setups for various years. If your engine has the type rod that is threaded on the top, then that cylinder type connecter with the nylon bushing in it should be screwed all the way down, then backed up so that it faces the proper way. If on the other hand, you have the type shift rod that has a hole on top, and screws into the lower unit via threads on the bottom of that rod.... well, that measurement is critical within one (1) turn! If you have the first type I mentioned (the cylinder type connector), I would suspect that you have the old type cables whereas the trunion (the sleeve about 5" long) can be removed from the end of the cable, and that trunion is not installed properly, or the inner cable has been cut, rendering it useless...... or there is a problem with the control box.

Are you able to shift this engine properly by hand with the cables detached? No offense intended but it's a little difficult to tell in your message where a sentence ends and the next one begins as there's no periods there. Please help me out and stick one at the end of the sentence/question. Thanks.

Joe
"

sorry about the ... was in a

sorry about the ... was in a hurry had a ball game to coach.ok it's a 1977 and it has the threads at top of the rod. some one had the cylinder type connecter only screwed down half way. I thought it should be screwed down all the way like you said.would that have caused the problem of not being able to adjust it in.

ps.it has a brand new omc shifter and the correct new cables i thought it was the problem in the first place

Thanks alot
paul

"Paul.... I assume that when y

"Paul.... I assume that when you say that it has a brand new shifter, you're referring to a new control box assembly, and of course as you state, new cables. Questions:

1 - Is the nylon bushing present in that cylindrical connecter atop the shift rod?

2 - Does this engine shift properly when shifted by hand, with the shift cable disconnected?

Joe
"

The bushing is there. and you

The bushing is there. and you can shift it by hand with the cables off. but it has alot of
travel for forward gear

"With that bushing in place, a

"With that bushing in place, and also the bushing in place on those two brackets that are secured to the front of the block with a 3/4" hex head shoulder bolt, the length of travel should be even from neutral to reverse/forward. Turn the prop by hand so that, when shifting by hand, the lobes on the shifter dog (in the lower unit) meet face to face with the lobes on the gear(s), which would prevent the shifter dog from engaging the gear fully. Then check to see if the travel length is indeed the same on both gears.

Joe
"

Ok i checked the travel by h

Ok i checked the travel by hand and it seems it has to go further to get to forward. i've checked all the bushings to make sure they where all there and in good shape so now i'm lost

thanks for any help
Paul Swanson

"Paul.... Rather than rely on

"Paul.... Rather than rely on memory, I checked the book. The top cylindrical shaped shift connector with the small bushing is to be adjusted by screwing it all the way down then backing it off until it faces forward.... so we know that's right. You could obtain a little more forward by backing that connector off a couple more turns, but that's a trial and error thing until you get it exactly where you want it. It would be a case of spinning that connector while the lower unit is bolted to the engine. Sometimes a easy thing to do, and at other times.....

If with that shift throw being even, and you're sure the cables are right along with the control box, you still encounter shift problems.... the only item left to be faulty is something in the lower unit.

Joe
"

Ok joe i'll give it a try

Ok joe i'll give it a try. thanks alot hopefully it work thanks for all your help.

Back