Logo

Starter Removal 250 HP Cat

sebastian

" I am trying to get the start

" I am trying to get the starter off of my 250 Catapiller engine with no luck so far. I have removed all of the bolts that I could find. It is in a hard space to work in and I can't see or feel any other bolts. I wonder how heavy it is and if it must be pried forward or something to remove it. There is only a very small library near where I live, but the lady that runs it said she would order a book for me to use if I can get a name or author so we can find it. I have the batteries disconnected, but a neighbor said it might loosen it if we hooked them back up and touched the starter button. I am not about to try this unless it is upon the advice of a real mechanic. Also there isn't a real mechanic within 35 miles and a tow there would cost about as much as my boat is worth. Thanks for your help and best regards,

Sebastian "

" If you have removed all of t

" If you have removed all of the bolts you can see or feel, then a good sharp rap with a hardwood stick or a nylon or brass hammer may persuade the old dog to break loose. Some times if a part or component has been in place for a while it can rust up a bit. Do not force things and do not try to engage the starter with bolts out or loose as you may damage starter and/or ring gear. Good luck and post your results. Kim "

" Thanks Kim,

Got it loose

" Thanks Kim,

Got it loose with a few raps of a brass hammer. Had the starter cleaned up and a new bearing installed in the "Bendix" by a place that works on starters. It works fine now and we are back on the water again. Paint seemed to be the problem as it had run back in the flange area and stuck the starter in place. When force was applied in an upward direction it came off easily. Heavy starter, but not too bad as clearance allowed removal without taking more than a hose off

Thanks again and best regards,
Sebastian "

Back