Logo

1986 johnson 150hp vro

T

Tony Mondello

" I have purchased a used outb

" I have purchased a used outboard with a vro.The engine runs fine but I am nervouse about the vro after reading about all the people disconnecting them.Are they really that unrelliable?If so what is the best way todisconnect it,also how long can the oil in the premixed fuel stay good for,does it eventually lose its properties?I would appreciate any help THANKS TONY M. "

" Tony.... The following may b

" Tony.... The following may be of some help to you.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" I have a 1987 Johnson 150 GT

" I have a 1987 Johnson 150 GT that I bought new. Well within the first year, it began to intermittently drop 1000-1500 rpm's @ top speed, & eventually never achieved top speed. During the course of this process it was in & out of the warranty shop a number of times but never fixed--the last time in, in short, resulted in the boat being sunk at the marina & me footing the bill. I rebuilt motor to be safe & it was ok, but still never hit top speed. It has now sat a while, and I would like to fix this problem before using it again. While my motor was apart, my friend has used all of my ignition components, to troubleshoot his motor, at some time or another, except for the timer base/sensor coils, on his 150 XP Evinrude and it ran fine with my parts (unfortunatly, he no longer has posession of this motor). This leads me to believe the timer base/sensor coils are the problem, but this is an expensive component. Could anyone advise me if this would be the typical way the motor would act if the timer base/sensor coils were faulty? "

Back