Logo

Raw water cooling system

dennis

Contributing Member
" Hi i'm back with another

" Hi i'm back with another problem with my 59 Owens ,283 I just put aftermarket manifolds and center risers on my engine and finally got it running today and noticed that the starboard side (manifold and head) were hot to the touch and the port side was cool . The hose coming from the pump is longer on the starboard side ,could that be a problem and should i route them to be even in length? It is pumping water out the back evenly on both sides. "

" Dennis, You can take off th

" Dennis, You can take off the hoses with the motor running at idle to check your flow and temp. of the water. Also this may bleed out any air that may be in the manifold. I had this problem after replacing manifolds before and they were fine after i got the air out of system. "

but hoses should be as close

but hoses should be as close as practical in length. does your t'stat housing have 2 hose nipples with check valves? 2 little balls and springs?

" I dont have a thermostat It

" I dont have a thermostat It goes straight from pump to a Y and to the back of the manifolds. I think i might try putting a restrictor in the short line and see if that helps . I didn't bleed anything ,i didn't think that system needed bleeding. Thanks for the input i'll let you know what i come up with. "

"Dennis, you might have a dua

"Dennis, you might have a dual water pump (Sherwood or Jabsco type) with two impellers, one for each side of the engine. CC 283's commonly use a crossover tube or longer hose to reach the far manifold inlet. If the impeller for one side is shot or not priming, that would cause the problem.

I'm also assuming that the plumbing pattern for your aftermarket manifolds follows the same pattern as original, meaning that the manifolds and block fill from the low end and outlet at the high end, this would be true whether Owens or CC. I have a original CC flow pattern pic I can email you if you can't find the problem.

"

" PLEASE E_MAIL THE PICTURE !

" PLEASE E_MAIL THE PICTURE ! I have been onthe boat all afternoon Trying to figure this problem out .Now if water is flowing evenly through both sides ,by that i mean its comeing out of the back at the same rate . Can it still be an impeller in the pump I do have a jabsco but ive never had it apart so i dont know if there are two impellers. I pulled the hoses off starting at the pump and check for flow .well i got to the intake manifold hose and it was coming out of the manifold towards the intake and coming out of the intake towards the manifold . Thinking maybe the head or block is clogged . I DONT KNOW ! GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED> So yes please send any type of routeing plan you have. Thanks again . I'll be happy when i dont have to bug you guys anymore. "

Sorry i meant water flowing f

Sorry i meant water flowing from the back of the riser to the intake manifold and at the same time water was coming out of the intake manifold

" Dennis,

I saw asituation

" Dennis,

I saw asituation once where water actually flowed through TOO fast. The remedy was to place valves beyond where the water exited. The flow was then fine tuned as needed and the problem was solved.

Eddie "

"croozertoo My e-mail add. is

"croozertoo My e-mail add. is [email protected] .I would really like to see that flow pattern picture .I could have it routed wrong .That would be an easy fix . I think i will try that restictor idea Eddie had .That kinda makes sence ."

" I talked to the tech rep fro

" I talked to the tech rep from Marine Manifolds ,The place i got my manifolds from and told him my routeing ,and he said that was correct. So then he told me to swap the risers first then the manifolds and see if it over heats on the other side well i swapped the risers no difference i'll do the manifolds tommorow.He said if it gets hot on the other side after swapping he will send me new risers and manifolds no charge .This has been a good experience with this company so far . I'll let you know tomorrow what happens . I also had a tap tap tap sound and it would not idle under 1100rpms. So i took the wedge off and put the carb straight to the manifold and it purrrs like a kitten and no more exhaust leak . Wedge launched 100ft. into the river! "

Back