Logo

Water in the motor

steve

Contributing Member
" I semi sunk the boat last we

" I semi sunk the boat last weekend (fresh water). The motor didn't turn over so I pulled the plugs and eliminated the water in the cylinders (it then turned over), will change the oil this weekend and sprayed WD40 on everything in site. Is there anything else I should be concerned about. "

" Steve, Did the fuel tank ve

" Steve, Did the fuel tank vent go under? If so then you will need to flush out the tank and put in fresh fuel. I would also suggest a fuel / water seperator for the water you can't get out. Also, how is the battery and wiring? Take a good look at this stuff. I would pop the dist. cap and clean and dry the components. This might be a good time to replace the points, cond. cap and rotor, it your engine uses them. Good luck "

get it running as soon as pos

get it running as soon as possible. may take afew oil changes to get all the water out.

" Might also be a good idea to

" Might also be a good idea to pull the starter, pop the end cap, and blow it dry. There is a good chance you will find your solenoids deciding to fail within a month. Main thing is to dry everything out and get the engine running asap. Once running keep checking the oil and changing it and the filter until it stays clean. If you are running an older OMC with selectrim you better pull and dry out the trim motor. Same goes for the tilt motor. "

Thanks everyone.

I did sta

Thanks everyone.

I did start and ran it for a few minutes after removing all the plugs and turning it over to get the water out. I'm going to change the oil and check the starter this weekend. It's a '91 5.0 OMC with a Cobra outdrive. Luckily it's a deck boat with flotation foam so it didn't go completely under...just to the deck.

Then I have to patch the hole in the hull and I also may have a leak in the fuel tank (see my other post) that I have to fix.

Thanks again
Steve

Back