Logo

1976 25b Luhrs w single 318 chrysler need info on alternator

L

Larry Cook

" I would like to know how thi

" I would like to know how this prestolite alternator works. I have 1 wire that goes to battery isolator from alt. and 1 wire i believe is a ground. Well I lost my charging to batteries and am trying make sure that it is the alt. and not something else. Also, what are some good alternators out there. I assume that i have what they call a single post alt??? Sound right?? Should i just go buy any single post alt? what amps?? "

" Larry, Hit the local NAPA st

" Larry, Hit the local NAPA store and bring the old unit with you. Make sure you tell them it is a marine unit. These are different than the auto type. As far as amps, go with what you had before if it was enuf or go larger if the wires on the boat are suitable. Good luck and post any more ?s if you need to. Let us know how you make out. Kim "

" Larry,

Is the ground on t

" Larry,

Is the ground on the alt, or on the isolator? The isolator should not need a ground wire. If you have connected the isolator wire to a ground, this could be your problem. Should be one incoming lead from the alt, and two leads, each one suppling one battery bank. Also, before you buy a new alt. be sure your isolator is OK. If you have current from the alt to the isolator, but batteries are not charging, isolator could be bad, Check line and load on isolator. Good luck "

" Larry, I also have a older

" Larry, I also have a older Luhrs with a 318 engine. More than likely you lost your voltage regulator. This is mounted on plate at rear of engine,square box with one wire and one terminal post. They are not very costly so it's a good idea to buy two. "

" I have an early '70s boa

" I have an early '70s boat with a Chrylser 318 and charging problems...I need a simple diagram as the troubleshoot the charging system...

I have a prestolite ANS 5202ys-11l alternator
with 3 post...battery, aux, and field disconnect?

Local alternator man says uses external regulator...need hookup for that too...

Thanks "

Back