Logo

Engine hits 1500 rpmbs the engine revs but the boat doesnbt move

H

Heather

" while taking our new boat on

" while taking our new boat on her maiden voyage, we pulled out of the launch traveled out the canal to the bay. But when we put our boat into gear the motor revved but the boat didn't move. After playing around a little we noticed that once the boat hits around 1500 RPM's the engine RPM's begin to climb and the engine just rev's. The boat runs perfectly in reverse and perfectly when we are trolling along as long as we don't exceed 1500 RPM's. "

Im guessing that this is a hu

Im guessing that this is a hub type prop that has sheared the hub and will work under no load but when load is applied it slips. Try a visual inspection of the prop. A simple replacement may be the cure. Of course this is only a guess. Any body else out there going to chime in and offer an opinion? Please do as I am guessing some . Kim

ditto as to Kims assesment al

ditto as to Kims assesment almost all props have a special slip type clutch hub pressed into the prop and hub. it protects the driving shafts from damage if you hit something. stainless wheels do NOT HAVE THIS PROTECTION....I WOULD NEVER USE A STAINLESS WHEEL FOR THIS REASON. If you are in 100 foot water and know the body of water id say stainless is ok. cliff

" Being in the inboard / stear

" Being in the inboard / stearndrive listings, I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that this is a stearndrive. Feels like Pictionary. Someone draws three lines and you have to guess what it is. Anyway, my guess is , it's a stearndrive with a bad engine coupler.

By the way Cliff. Who told you that stainless props don'thave clutch hubs? AND WERE THEY SMOKING ANYTHING AT THT TIME? "

Back