Logo

Could idle problems be the rectifier or coils

C

chris sorrentino

I have a 1977 55hp johnson th

I have a 1977 55hp johnson that wont idle. could it be the coils or the rectifier. if so where do I find the rectifier.thanks ahead of time for any help

What about something called a

What about something called a stater?possibly located under flywheel

" is there a difference betwee

" is there a difference between the origonal manual and a service manual? This engine has had two marinas look at it neither can figure it out. I,m just asking these questions because they are possible sollutions that I have read on the internet. "

Chris
Dont worry as zeke is

Chris
Dont worry as zeke is a grumpy ass best person to help is joe or tony zeke is ok but needs some happy pills first LOL

" my father had an early 3 cyl

" my father had an early 3 cylinder 55 hp evinrude with the same problem, and i believe the solinoid for the automatic choke was the problem. for some reason it opened enough to stall at low speed, it would start but not run for long and would die when put into gear. but didn't effect high speed operation "

"Chris..... Regardless of what

"Chris..... Regardless of what problem a engine may have, always check the compression and ignition/spark first (if called for). No need if a connecting rod is sticking through the hood of course.

Compression should be in the range of 100 psi and even on all cylinders. Spark (with the s/plugs out) should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue flame.

If the above is okay, the usual problem is that the carburetor(s) have become fouled, clogged, gummed. If so, the cure is to remove, clean, and rebuild them with new complete carburetor kits. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

"Ron.... Why would you want to

"Ron.... Why would you want to take the positive cable off of the battery when the engine is running. That's a perfect way to destroy the rectifier diodes in the charging system if that engine has an alternator.

In all probability, that engine has automotive ignition..... removing that cable disrupts the voltage supply to the ignition coil.

I strongly suggest that you obtain a service manual for that engine if possible as tinkering with it will prove to be quite expensive.

Joe
"

Back