Logo

Problem sealing lower unit

L

Luc Vinet

" The drive shaft and the prop

" The drive shaft and the prop shaft are sligtly groove where the seals are. I do not think that it is possible to have a good seal anymore. Is there a solution besides replacing the shafts. Reason for me asking is because a new shaft is more expensive than the motor and a used shaft is also grooved at this point. I don't understand why the shafts are grooved at this point because they only touches the rubber of the seal. It seams to be a common problem with Jonhson Evinrude. Am i mistaking ?? The motors that i have that problem for now are 7,5 and 18 hp 1957.

Regards

Luc "

" Hi Luc,
The shaft wears f

" Hi Luc,
The shaft wears for the same reason that a rock will wear when water runs over it. You make enough contact and friction for a long enough period of time and you can make lots of soft materials cut into harder ones...
Anyway, unless the wear is severe, new seals will probably compensate for the lost metal. You can also try using a lower or higher profile seal to effectively move the sealing surface to a new spot on the shaft. Kaman Bearing stores (among others) can sell you seals by size for pretty much any application...
- Scott "

Measure the shaft size or tak

Measure the shaft size or take it to a bearing sales company and purchase a speedi or wear sleave.When installing the sleeve make sure you put some filler on the worn area of the shaft then install the sleeve with the tool provided in the kit ( depending on shaft length you may haveto make a longer installation tool)

fishing line will cut a stain

fishing line will cut a stainless shaft if it gets jammed into the seal.It is "only" rubber but some materials are abrasive and will wear a groove over time. Best is to carefully install the seal in a different location either by machining the housing or using a spacer.

Back