Logo

69b 85h Johnson More problems

E

Eric Ohnemus

" Joe,
You have been very

" Joe,
You have been very helpful with the last two questions I have posted, first was the problem with no fire, I replaced the Amplifier and it now has fire. Next was the problem that it would not go but 2-5Mph at full throttle, you said to clean the carbs. I rebuilt the carbs and now it planes out and runs in the 30s. Now my newest problem is that it will not start again. I turn the key and the starter ingages and turns the engine about a half a turn. then it stops like the battery is dead, put in new battery and same thing. If i take out all of the spark plugs and turn the egnition the starter ingages and roles over and over just fine. If I put just one plug in with no wire connected at all and try to start it the starter ingages and turns over a couple of times then stops. Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to your help with this latest problem, hopefully it will be the last for awhile.

Thanks,
Eric "

"Eric.... The problem that you

"Eric.... The problem that you speak of is usually caused by a faulty cable(s), a loose connection, or a faulty starter. The wing nuts must be tightened with pliers, not by hand.... and even if the cable seems tight, there may be a slight bit of corrosion on the cable ends. Make sure that they're clean. I've encountered many a cable that appeared tight but cleaning the cable ends with a wire brush and scraping them with a knife made a tremendous difference in voltage. A easy way to check a problem with a cable is to crank the engine and feel the cables.... run your hand down the length of them. If any part of the cable is hot, therein lays the problem.

If a cable itself is faulty, corroded internally, broken wiring, whatever.... the cable will get quite hot at the problem area.

If all checks out okay, the last resort is of course the starter. If the starter itself is flawed, that also will get very hot in a very short time.... and will usually have a bad smell to it. Hopefully, you've got a loose or dirty connection.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks, again. I

" Joe,
Thanks, again. I just cleaned the battery connectors and tightened them down with plyers and still get the same thing. I took a pair of jumper cables and bypassed the current battery cables complety and ran the jumpers from the battery to the starter cylinoid and ground and still get the same thing. The starter does feel hot to the touch. Do you think it would be the starter?

Thanks,
Eric "

"Eric.... sorry to say, that&#

"Eric.... sorry to say, that's what it appears to be. You've eliminated everything else. I'd suggest that you remove it, then (making notes), dismantle and inspect it. When starters fail, it's usually very easy to see what the problem is when they're dismantled.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thanks again for

" Joe,
Thanks again for all the help you have provided.

Thanks,
Eric "

Back