Logo

No spark 1976 evinrude 70 hp

S

scott crabtree

I have replaced the power pac

I have replaced the power pack and still have no spark. i removed the kill wire from powerpack. i checked voltage comming from pickup sensor under flywheel and have 15 volts. i was told to check for 230 volts but not sure what wires to check for that test. what else can i check to get my spark back.

" If you people insist on tryi

" If you people insist on trying to fix these motors yourselves step 1 go BUY a service manual,step 2 read it.ANY QUESTIONS??? "

"Scott..... Remove the spark p

"Scott..... Remove the spark plugs for safety, then disconnect the large main red electrical connector at the engine to eliminate any possible electrical harness etc problems that may exist from that plug forward. YOu can crank the engine by using a small jumper from the battery cable side of the starter colenoid to one of the smaller 3/8 hex nuts (wires) on the solenoid (not the ground nut/wire).

The two wires coming from the stator which are "Brown" and the other "Brown/Orange" are the wires that supply voltage to the powerpack. The stator actually emits 300 volts AC to the pack so you would need the volt meter set to AC. The actual output read by the meter must not drop below a certain point but I'm not sure of what it is.... 230ac volts as you quote may be right.

However, you can check the stator with a ohm meter also. On "Hi Ohms" the meter hooked up between those two wires should read 630 ohms, plus or minus 75 ohms. There should be no reading between either wire and ground. Any deviation from those readings would indicate a faulty stator.

Regardless of the readings, I suggest that you remove the flywheel and visually inspect the stator for cracks, leaks,oozing of a sticky like substance... things of that nature which would indicate that it is failing, has failed, or is intermitent. Hope this helps you somewhat.

Joe
"

" Thanks joe for the advice, I

" Thanks joe for the advice, I tested the voltage on both the brown wire and the brown with orange and only got 56 volts on each one, then i checked for continuity and it reads as an open circuit. does this mean the stator is bad? Also which service manual is the best choice for troubleshooting? "

"Scott.... I think you missrea

"Scott.... I think you missread what I was saying about the AC voltage. You don't check the voltage on each wire, you check the voltage by hooking the meter to "both" wires ie the black meter lead to brown, the red meter lead to brown/orange, then crank the engine and see what the AC voltmeter reads.

To the left of this page, click on Classified, then Outboard where you should then see the manuals listing. The factory OMC manuals are best. Perhaps Andrew (host) may have just what you need there.

Note: If the stator does prove to be faulty, contact me via my e-mail address. I have a couple left in stock which I will discount. [email protected]

Joe
"

Scott;The factory service man

Scott;The factory service manual is ALWAYS best.Yes is appears to be a faulty stator p/n 581235 for $188.17 retail 1year factory warranty parts&labor

" Well joe, I checked the volt

" Well joe, I checked the voltage reading again and i got 98acv across the brown and the brown with orange. Then i checked the continuity between the two wires and i got 645 ohms on the 2k meter setting. I took off the flywheel and inspected the stator it appears to be in good condition from the outside. Thanks everyone for all the
info. "

Back