Logo

1976 200hp evirude ignition

M

mike tolley

having a intermittent firing

having a intermittent firing problem. checked all electrical componets with ohm meter according to factory service manual and find the timer base resistance values to be bad. called dealer and was told part is no longer available. is there a way to put a newer model ignition system on this engine? power head has about 50hrs since rebuild. thanks mike t

" ive been looking at 79-83 v-

" ive been looking at 79-83 v-6's and it seems to me that if i used it all(stator,timerbase,coils,powerpacks) that it should work.my local dealers just tell me it wont cause they all want to sell me a new engine. the upper bearing housing appears to be the same so i dont see a problem with it bolting on. "

mike... You can use the ignit

mike... You can use the ignition system off the later type. I have done this conversion many years ago and it is relatively easy. I dont remember if i used the later upper bearing housing but im quite sure these are the same.

" you might need to fabricate

" you might need to fabricate a plate to mount the powerpack, as i recall there is only one hole to mount it on the older blocks. "

" hi guys! i was pretty sure t

" hi guys! i was pretty sure that i could do just that. im sure glad i found this board! the guys over on the bbc evinrude board dont want to answer anything!maybe they dont know, but i think if your not in the click, they dont respond.i really aprecciate all of the responses ive had and all of your help. now i just need to try and talk my local dealers into getting off of some of the junk in the scrap piles. thanks mike t "

hi joe dont know if this help

hi joe dont know if this helps but the part#581486 is out of my 76 parts manual. thanks mike

" FOR THE PRICE OF A NEW 200,

" FOR THE PRICE OF A NEW 200, ID SAY ITS WORTH IT. I CAN SPEND A FEW HUNDRED AND HAVE IT BACK TOP NOTCH OR 10 THOUSAND AND HAVE ANOTHER PAYMENT THAT I DONT NEED. OLD MOTOR PUSHES MY 266 STRATOS TO 74MPH WITH THE FIRING PROBLEM. CANT WAIT TO GET IT FIXED AND GET A LITTLE MORE SPEED OUT OF IT. "

Back