Logo

Need info on 272 289 292 cui ford marine interceptor

C

Craig Jones

" Cannot locate any tech info.

" Cannot locate any tech info. Need to know if automotive heads, and intake are compatible..?? If not, I need some kind of reference to original heads & intake. Pic, literature, etc... Thank you... Craig "

" Hi Craig!
First, remember t

" Hi Craig!
First, remember that 272 and 292 engines belong to the old Y-block family. The 289/302 engines belong to the more modern small block family. Parts between these families DO not mix!
I don't think, a marine or auto intake will differ at least not for the 289/302:s. With the heads issue I'm not sure.
Peter "

"I'm a little late with th

"I'm a little late with this reply, but I've worked with the Interceptor Y-blocks a bit. These are good engines, but the Interceptor conversion of the 50's and 60's used a "flat" intake manifold and one or two side draft carbs. The carbs are finicky and tend to leak, creating a fire hazard.

If you have enough vertical clearance and originality is not a concern, I'd recommend using an automotive style intake and a modern marine four-barrel carb. Hemmings would be a good source for a Y-block intake. I believe the Thunderbird four-barrel versions were compatible with an AFB type carb.

"

"I, too have a 59 Century with

"I, too have a 59 Century with a 170 Horse Interceptor (272 CI) with the twin side draft Carter carbs. I would like to convert this to a downdraft intake with either a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb. Can anyone advise if their was a marine or auto intake in a 2 barrel version? If so, where could I find a used one? If not, where could I find a used 4 barrel version and at what approximate cost?"

"A marine Holley two barrel co

"A marine Holley two barrel could be adapted easily. The old Ford 2 barrel even looked like a Holley--Henry Ford and the Holley brothers came up together.

The 272/ 292/ 312 series of engines (what was it with that last digit always being a '2'?) were not good engines back then, but modern oils would make them a real winner.

Jeff"

Does anyone know how the water

Does anyone know how the water system on the inteceptor connects to the down draft manifold so that water feeds both exhaust manifolds and flows back to the raw water pump?
thnx in Advance
Ray Glenn

"have twin 272 interceptor mar

"have twin 272 interceptor marine engines in my tolly 30. I have had them for 15 yrs. I have converted them to downdraft for obvious reasons. Side draft are very dangerouse in a boat application. If you need any info contact me at [email protected] sam"

Back