Logo

84 merc200 overheats idle no foward gears has reverse help new this

marcus

" I recently purchased 84 boat

" I recently purchased 84 boat with merc 200. first time out it ran fine @ first started to overheat @ idle cools down higher rpms.previos owner put new water pump on it.coming in it lost foward gears,engine revs up no motion.Has reverse please can anybody help??? "

Marcus....As far as the overh

Marcus....As far as the overheating goes check the thermostats in each head and also the relief valve on the starboard side of the block. This valve stays closed so the entire block can fill up wih water and opens once pressure builds up. If this valve is open the block will not fill up correctly with cooling water and cause an overheating problem. At higher RPMs when the volume and pressure of water increases your motor will run cooler.If that does sort the problem you should re check the pump. As far as the shifting goes follow sparkys advice above.

" Marcus,

You probably need

" Marcus,

You probably need to replace the water pump. It sounds like the impeller is going bad, or a gasket is leaking.

As for the problem with forward gear, Sparky is right; you have to determine if the problem is in the lower unit or the cable or remote control box.

Tony "

" I crancked it up with the wa

" I crancked it up with the water hose attached,reverse sometimes stalls the engine or pauses a few seconds then starts to turn but makes a clicking noise. Foward doesnt move it just clicks.Is this the lower unit??Can I rebuild it and for how much??? thanks for your help!!!!! "

Back