Logo

1968 Evinrude Fisherman 6 HP

david

" I just bought this motor and

" I just bought this motor and put it on a test tank to see how well it runs. The motor starts right up with the choke engaged. However, I am unable to push the choke back in without the motor quitting. I can push the choke partially in and the engine smooths out and accelerates beautifully. However, I don't believe I will be able to run it in gear while keeping the choke in that exact position for very long without the choke lever moving. I noticed a "Low Speed Mixture" knob on the motor, but have no idea where I should begin with adjusting it. Any ideas will be very much appreciated! "

"David.... The carburetor is f

"David.... The carburetor is fouled and will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding. Purchase a carburetor kit for this purpose, possibly available at your nearby NAPA store, and for sure at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership. When finished with the rebuild job, it may be adjusted as follows.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe
"

Thanks for taking the time to

Thanks for taking the time to share that valuable information with me. May you be richly blessed...

David

Back