Logo

Bringing back b87 Evinrude 8HP from the dead

B

Brian Wadzink

" Hello.

I was looking for

" Hello.

I was looking for some advice on whether or not it makes sense for me to continue trying to coax an '87 Evinrude 8HP long-shaft outboard back to life.

I recently bought the motor from an in-law who hadn't run it for an extremely long time. Following it's last use, the motor was run dry of gas and stored in an unheated garage for a very long time. My brother-in-law claimed that it probably had less than 8 hours of use on it.

When I pulled the cover off of it, everything looked brand-new. I pulled the spark plugs out and didn't see any corrosion in the cylinders or on top of the piston. I recently changed the lower-unit lube and the prop spins freely in Neutral. However, I can not budge the starter rope. The flywheel won't budge.

I took it into a not-so-friendly local service shop and after two weeks, and 0.5 hour labor charge later, they told me that the motor was "rusted" and needed a new powerhead. I was told it would make more sense to buy another comparable motor than to replace the powerhead.

My local service center didn't have alot of time for me and no one I call there can give me details about what they found. Does anyone else have an idea about what the real problem may be? Is there anything I could do that may help "free it up"?

Thanks so much for any help. I have two little girls who are eager to get started with fishing!

Brian
Oak Grove, MN "

"Brian.... Remove the s/plugs

"Brian.... Remove the s/plugs and have the engine tilted so that it is horizontal with the plug holes facing up. Pour in some kind of solution that might free the engine.... OMC engine tuner, Penatrating oil, whatever (you've nothing to lose).

YOu might want to remove the cylinder head so that you could tap on the pistons (back & forth) to rock the crankshaft etc.

If it is indeed rusted bad to a point whereas the crank is pitted etc, it may not be feasable to repair it. However, at times, one does get lucky.

Joe
"

" If it is in fact determined

" If it is in fact determined that the powerhead is toasted, give eBay a try. Good used powerheads turn up all the time for modest prices...
- Scott "

try marvel mystery oil this s

try marvel mystery oil this stuff is good for tight motors

Back