Logo

Help Mr Reeves1968 Evinrude Clunking

R

Randoc

" Hey Joe. I used to write you

" Hey Joe. I used to write you about my little motor, but this time I am writing about my bro - in- laws motor. He has a 1968 18 hp Fast Twin and man do he got a problem.

The engine runs fine in neutral, but when he drops it into forward, the thing clunks like it is trying to jump out of gear. He can get no acceleration on it as it clunks even at idle in forward gear.

I was riding with him and noticed that (and you'll have to forgive my ignorance on parts names) the little part that the shift lever moves when engaging forward or reverse, jumps when the engine clunks. I further noticed that the "peg" on the shift lever does not drop fully into the "slot" on that part when put into forward gear.

I hope this isn't too confusing of a post. Basically, I think the motor is just not completely engaging into forward gear and seems to just pop out for a second. Anyway, we hope you can give us an idea as to what we can do to solve this problem.

Thanks a ton for all you do for us who don't know what we are doing (smile). "

"Randoc..... The engine is jum

"Randoc..... The engine is jumping out, and back into gear. This gives the illusion that the engine is hitting something on a constant but time spaced basis.

This would be caused by either a improperly adjusted shift linkage or rounded off shift lobes on the shifter dog and forward gear.

Many boaters make the mistake of shifting into gear slowly, thinking that they are taking it easy on the shifting components. Nothing could be further from the truth as this practice allows those lobes to click/clack against each other many times which rounds off the right angles of the lobes. The rounded off lobes allow the dog to disengage from the gear under pressure.

I'd suggest that you first try to adjust the shift linkage, then if that doesn't help, dismantle the lower unit to inspect the gears, shifter dog, and other components.

Joe
"

"Thanks Joe, but being [B][I]m

"Thanks Joe, but being mechanically stupid, could you give me some pointers on how to go about adjusting the shift linkage? Your advice and guidance has always been helpful, and I appreciate your time qand expertise."

" Randoc,

Hopefully

" Randoc,

Hopefully Joe will be back with specific instructions, mabye this will get you started. Considering the engines vintage, I believe, the adjustment on that is hidden in the exhaust housing. There should be an oval shaped plate that is held in place by screws. Take those out & take a look inside - what you will see are two rods, connected with some type of screw/bolt and a slot for adjustment.

I can't tell you exactly which way everything moves etc.. this engine has 10 years on me ;).. But, it sounds like it's not making it all the way into foward; shift, and turn the engine (engine needs to spin to engine lower unit on some of these) so the lower unit will engage - figure out how it works and which direction forward/reverse is (up or down). My guess - adjust it so that you are putting it further into forward, and then double check to see if reverse & neutral still work - then try it out.

Jon "

" Jon ,you are wrong here, the

" Jon ,you are wrong here, the oval plate is the connector ( no adjustment there) The adjustment is at the top at the the shifter lever. Most likely the lobes on the clutch dog and forward gear are rounded off. The lower unit needs to be torn down and inspected for wear and if new parts are installed the most important thing is to get the adjustment correct. NEGLECT IS THE REASON MOST MOTORS END UP IN THE REPAIR SHOP. "

" sparky,

Well, than

" sparky,

Well, thanks for the correction, as stated - wasn't quite sure on a 68 - I had an early 70's and that's the way it worked.

Jon "

Back