Logo

Palmer P60 Questions

keysdiver

" I acquired one of these thou

" I acquired one of these though e-bay from a couple that was re-powering their sailboat. My thanks to this forum for help in determining exactly what it was I bought! So far I have not found a serial number. Does the width of the flywheel tell me anything about the age of this engine? Is there a good source for a fuel pump? (that was the only part missing from the engine when I picked it up) Anyone have any thoughts about switching from raw water-cooling to an intercooler setup? (this unit has been raw water cooled in salt water all of it? life) Finally, any thoughts about matching a prop to this little beast? 2, 3, 4 blade? Pitch? Etc. "

I have a Palmer P-60 in my sa

I have a Palmer P-60 in my sailboat. There is no fuel pump on the C-60 equivialant used on tractors so the only way to get one is to find an old one or adapt another make to yours. Indigo Electronics makes an after market pump for Atomic4's. loks like it could work on a Palmer P-60. They also make a fresh water cooling kit that might be jury rigged to fit yours. I'm facing those same problems althogh my fuel pump is so far still functioning. Good luck. Let me know what you find
Eddie

" I found a number on the larg

" I found a number on the large engine mount that covers the flywheel, it looks like 707005, anyone have any idea what that may mean? "

" Keysdiver,

If they ar

" Keysdiver,

If they are raised letters on the part they are probably a pattern number for the casting. you'll probably find a number on the inside of the exaust manifold. Mine is 7002. The ID plate should be on top of the exaust manifold made of thin sheet metal with very small steel stamped numbers for the engine no., RPM (2700),and P-60.

Eddie "

" Keysdiver,

Check out t

" Keysdiver,

Check out the photos on oldmarineengine, Multi Cylinder Gas Inboards, Palmer Gas 4 cylinder ID, conversation.

Eddie "

Eddie:

I hve a 4 cylinder

Eddie:

I hve a 4 cylinder Palmer. Known nothing about it. There is a special number on the lower block under the valve cover-- 55741 R6. Is this the serial number? It is not cast in but stamped into the block. Is this a P 60? It appears to be a late model because it has a 12 volt system with an alternator. Runs like a top! But I am looking for a smaller engine (2 cyl or?) because this one is too big for my scaled down tug boat (10').

Any info from anyone?

Bob

" Robert Peck,

If the numbe

" Robert Peck,

If the number you saw is cast on the block it is a mold pattern number, not the serial. The serial number is impression stamped on a thin sheet metal plate found on the exaust manifold. Although it looks like a 1930's style engine it has a 12 volt system. How do you know its a Palmer engine?

Eddie "

"Eddie,
Here is a picture of

"Eddie,
Here is a picture of a Palmer P-60 M-60. As Robert said there should be a Palmer nameplate with the model and serial number. Let us know or post a picture.

Regards,
Andrew"

" Eddie & Andrew
The engi

" Eddie & Andrew
The engine is an EXACT copy of the one in the picture. The number I mentioned is NOT cast into the block but impressed with index markers of the kind I use with a heavy hammer. There appears to be a tin slip with raised numbers fastened to the head with round head screws. It is heavily painted over but I have thought to clean it off in the expectation that it is the serial number.

By the weay, what's the difference between the "P" and the "M" models?

Bob "

" Description of ID plate. 7&#

" Description of ID plate. 7" X 2". Steel stamped numbers on upper right hand corner as follows. First line: P-60 27(HP) 3200 (RPM) Second line: sserial number five didgets, dash, two didgets Third line: 1-3-4-2 (firing order)
Eddie "

" Now we are getting somewhere

" Now we are getting somewhere. There is no tin plate of this kind anywhere on this engine. Nor is the first line you give. However, the firing order is cast into the block (below the valve cover). And there is a number stamped into a flat of the block below the valve cover (a surface ground flat)with stamping punches: to wit 55741 R6. 5 digits, a space and 2 digits.

Now, if this is the serial number, how does one determine when it was built? Any suggestions about that? "

" Bob,
It sure looks like the

" Bob,
It sure looks like the serial number. Mine is all numerals with the last two numbers matching the year of the boat. Are you sure about the R? Maybe it is a numbering system used on yours is from an earlier time than mine, mine being from when it was bought by Thermo Electron. I don't know. There is some talk about Palmer history on the oldmarineengine discussion board.
Eddie "

" Eddie:
It sure looks like a

" Eddie:
It sure looks like an "R" but I will get my new glasses and take another look. Byt the way, there are 4 screws driven into the top of the manifold on a 2" x 7" rectangle which seems to indicate that there once was a tin ID plate located there---where you said it should be. I have looked at the oldmarineengine discussion board for info but have yet to learn anything. Byt the way, the rev counter (tach) has an hours run clock that says it has less than 600 hours of running. I have serious doubt about this though it was hooked up when I got the engine. It has good compression and everything seems in such good order that this could be a true reading. Thanks for the chatter.
Bob "

" I have a 1972 Palmer P-60 in

" I have a 1972 Palmer P-60 in my sailboat.
The raw water pump just started leaking through the small hole on the underside,I'm assuming it's time to rebuild it, the pump is a Sherwood E20 NO.7139- I really need the parts for it
& I can't seem to find them anywhere.
I also would like to know if anyone deals in Palmer trim parts? "

" Mark,
Sierra International,

" Mark,
Sierra International, an aftermarket wholesaler, might be able to help you. You will have to go through a retail store. The first thing they will tell you is they don't list Palmer. I don't know about Sherwood. Ask to talk to technical representative. He will then try to match it up by demention from a specification book.
Duby Marine in Buffalo, NY may also be able to help you. Trim parts will have to come from us Palmer nuts on this site.
Eddie "

Re: " Mark,
Sierra International,

I'm new to finding parts for this old engine and wondering if anyone has information on obtaining a rebuilt starter for the palmer p 60?

Thanks for the help

Back