Logo

Backwards evinrude

benpowell

" I have a question for Joe, h

" I have a question for Joe, he seems to know his stuff. I have a 1978 75 hp evinrude I changed lower units on. I had to change water pumps to make work. I think the unit may have been an older 60 hp if it matters. Anyway problem is everything works good on the lake, except when you put shifter in forward boat goes backward and when you put shifter in reverse boat goes forward. Boat is Bomber, controls are Evinrude Power Pilot. Whats up? "

You have the wrong lower unit

You have the wrong lower unit for your motor.You need to pick up the linkages from an earlier motor to make the lower unit work .

"Ben.... I'm sorry but I s

"Ben.... I'm sorry but I simply can't resist this. The cure is simple..... just turn the boat around (grin). Seriously, the above post from Sparky says it all. Good luck.....

Joe
"

" Hi Ben,
Sparky's righ

" Hi Ben,
Sparky's right on the money. You likely picked up a Hydromechanical lower unit and your motor needs a straight mechanical unit. They can be interchanged, but you have to swap out the bellcrank and shift linkages up above with the ones that came with the motor your lower unit came off of...
- Scott "

" Hi Ben,
Sparky's righ

" Hi Ben,
Sparky's right on the money. You likely picked up a Hydromechanical lower unit and your motor needs a straight mechanical unit. They can be interchanged, but you have to swap out the bellcrank and shift linkages up above with the ones that came with the motor your lower unit came off of... You have to pull the powerhead to get at the linkages.
- Scott "

no need to pull the powerhead

no need to pull the powerhead.It just needs the arm from the earlier motor to change the direction of movement of the shift rod. The bell crank under the carburetor is common.

" Thanks guys. I picked up the

" Thanks guys. I picked up the linkage today. By the way, Joe, I mounted the engine on the front of the boat but wasn't happy with the performance. (grin!) "

Back