Logo

Evinrude 120 hp temp sender

floydy

"I have just bought a 1987 120

"I have just bought a 1987 120hp evinrude.The engine runs well and has a newer power head.I have notice that the temp sender has not been connected and it could because the power head is off a later engine!.If I connect the purple to + ,dark grey to the - and dark blue to the u the temp seems to work.But if I earth out one of the temp senders to the block the warming temp alarm comes on,but the gauge dose not move.I have traced the two temp sender wires and it seems that one wire goes to no where and a wire goes to the vro pump.Can any one comfirm how these engine should be wired up."

"What kind of temp senders are

"What kind of temp senders are You talking about.
The original ones installed in the heads are not senders, but temp switches and connected to the alarm and SLOW system in the power packs.
If You want to use a temp instrument, You need to install external contact sensors."

"Thanks Morten ,It looks like

"Thanks Morten ,It looks like they are temp switches on the new power head and on the old head must of had a temp gauge. This would account the why the temp gauge was not connected now.The alarm seem to be working as it sounds when you earth the switch wire.Is there a link which would give more information on the slow system and when the temp switchs switches will it only sound a alarm or will it reduce engine rpm?"

If you look carefully at your

If you look carefully at your motor it should have a seperate threaded hole for a TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT.The wires you are looking at are for a temperature switch to activate an alarm and perhaps activate the " SLOW " running mode.Check wiring diagrams or check with your friendly dealer.

"In the BRP catalog, Accessori

"In the BRP catalog, Accessories, 1980, You find a temp kit intended for meter reading, se below pic. If Your power pack has a tan wire, which is should, You have SLOW in the system. You may even get an operators manual downloaded from the BRP site at Evinrude.com. Depending of the mod year of the powerhead/ign system, the port temp switch may have 2 cables, one tan for the alarm/SLOW system, and one white/black which deactivates/shuts off the Quick start system. As mentioned above some of the heads have pre-threaded holes for instrument temp senders, but in general You have to use the bracket that comes with the kit. It is important that the sender has good contact with the head to give a correct reading.
62584.gif
"

"Thanks gents, yes I have tan

"Thanks gents, yes I have tan temp switches so I should have s.l.o.w .I guess the last ower once had the gauge fitted and then had it disconnected.I got a owers manual today and tested the system .All good Thanks gents"

Back