Logo

92 Johnson 60 hp charging system

cbonavia

"I bought a used stator, but w

"I bought a used stator, but when I ohmed out the charge coil I am reading numbers consistant with a 12 amp charging system. When I test mine It reads like a 6 amp system, can I install this without causing damage somewhere else? If not, how can mine be converted to a 12 amp system "

"contrary,to the way it sounds

"contrary,to the way it sounds,...charge coils,are actually for your ignition.,the stator windings,is where u get batt charging capability."

"I did a charge coil output te

"I did a charge coil output test on my origional unit, and it was low. That is why I got the replacement, but my Clymer manual shows that the charge coil resistance should be between 360-440 ohms for a 6 amp charging system, and between 750-950 ohms for a 12 amp charging system.
My question is if I install the 12 amp unit on my engine that had a 6 amp unit will it damage any other components, or is the only difference the stator?"

"If You max load the charge sy

"If You max load the charge system (12 amp) Your regulator might burn out. Normally watercooled regulators are needed on the 12 amp systems, Yours is air cooled."

Back