Logo

Yamaha Oil Blend Unit Any Ideas

"Good Day everyone, I have bee

"Good Day everyone, I have been battling problems with my poor little boat. 1989 Yamaha 50 ELF.
What would happen if the oil blend unit was not working properly?
I would run the boat, cold she start, run, and fly. After about 4 min full thottle, she will cut off, usually followed by the buzzer. Sometimes the buzzer comes on first.
Once she shuts off I have to wait awhile before I can run it again. Once I get it running, it will spit and putter and will sometimes pick back up. But lasts only a min. then dies again. I originally thought carbs, but I have torn down and cleaned a dozen times. After I still could get it I brought to a repair shop. They torn down and cleaned them, they thought they got it, but when I got it back....nothing new.
Have new fuel pump, hose and bulb to tank, plugs, carb rebuild, fuel and batteries, and the reeds checked out OK. Now someone tells me the oil blend could be doing it. Is it possible? The old plugs were fouled when they were replaced. If so, is the only way to test it to disconnect it and premix my fuel?

Please let me know. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You"

"Peter,

If the alarm aounds

"Peter,

If the alarm aounds a continuous tone, it is signaling an overheating problem, and it does sound like this to me.

If the buzzer is beeping on and off, it is signaling an oil problem, specifically low oil in the reservoir. Yamahas do not have a rotation sensor on the oil pump, so you have to measure the discharge rate to see if it is working properly. You can put oil into the fuel tank to see if it has any effect, it will not harm the engine, in fact it is a good idea to have some oil in there anyway. This will save the engine if the pump stops working.

Tony"

"I'm sorry, I thought I me

"I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that, the oil tank is full. When I brought it to the shop it had 1/2 tank. The shop thought the same thing and filled it up. So the last time I took it out it had a full tank of oil, and the results were the same.
If the pump was not working properly, would it cause the buzzer to go off and shut off the engine.
You would be go full throttle and would here the rpms drop. Slowly at first then all at once shutting it off."

"Pete,

I am trying to figur

"Pete,

I am trying to figure out what is triggering the alarm. What kind of noise does it make? Is it a continuous tone or an on and off tone?

Tony"

"It is a constant LOUD annoyin

"It is a constant LOUD annoying buzz, and it comes from the remote unit next to the seat. The only way the buzzer shuts off is when you turn the key off.
}"

"The boat only has three littl

"The boat only has three little lights. Green, yellow, and red. It does have one gauge, the tach on the "dashboard". Oil level does not seem to be the issue, water in the fuel I would say maybe, but I just put fresh tank of gas. I have to look into the over heat issue. Someone mentioned to me about the oil pump, that is why I was think it."

"Pete,

If the green light s

"Pete,

If the green light stays lit when the buzzer goes off, and the yellow and red do not light up, it indicates an overheating problem.

Do the yellow or red lights come on when this happens?

Tony"

"If I remember correctly, the

"If I remember correctly, the last couple times the buzzer went on, the light remained green. You think the thermostat could/would cause these conditions?"

"Pete,

It could very well b

"Pete,

It could very well be the stat. You might have an anode in the water jacket under the cylinder head. This can cause a blockage as it becomes used up, and clog the water passage. I'll see if I can check the parts book for you. You could try to find this yourself at the Yamaha website if you want to.

Tony"

"I don't know. I have acce

"I don't know. I have access to the seloc manual and I can not find anything on it.
My boat is currently in the shop still. I told the people yesterday, if they can not figure it out I was going to take it back. It has been 5 weeks tomorrow that they have had it. I got it back the one time when they thought they had it, but took it right back to them when it failed. Looks like I am going to get a crash course in boat mechanics, cause I am tired of this.
The weather has been too nice not to be on the lake."

"Well, I heard some disturbing

"Well, I heard some disturbing news today. The repair shop called and told me they have removed the head and found that 2 of the 3 cylinders are scared up. Deeply.
They are saying I must get the head bored and the rings replaced. Does this sound right. Is that the process when the cylinder is scared, and would have this been the cause of all my troubles?
We tested the compression and they tested good, but we did test them when the engine was cooled. My problems see to happen when the engine is hot. Could this be it, or am I getting raped, and not even getting dinner first?"

"Peter,

I had the same prob

"Peter,

I had the same problem with my Boat. Check that the float inside of the on motor oil resevoir is not sticking. Remove the pin and shake the sensor up and down. I had the exact same problem, ended up getting a new sensor. Yes, your getting raped. I hope this helps."

Back