Logo

197515 hp evinrudeto rebuild or not rebuild

F

favbal

" Hello, I was wondering if it

" Hello, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile and smart to rebuild my motor. At one point I was having starting problems with it. I bought two new coils, had the pull cord replaced, new spark plugs. It also had a carburator job done on it. At the time it had good compression. After all this it started the first time only after several attempts. Then I stopped using it when I took my kids fishing and drifted into a pass thru channel. I was trying to get it started and noticed a yacht coming towards us with no intention of slowing down. It finally started with me turning the throttle to full blast and jetted out of the way. And no I was unable at the time to get the numbers of the yacht. Makes me mad. Well anyway, I sinced bought a nice boat with a johnson 115 ocean pro but still want to use my good old jon boat in the small lakes close to home. Called resacas down here. The pull cord is now kind of hard to pull and was thinking of rebuilding. Or should I just buy? Any suggestions guys? Thanks ahead of time. "

" Favbal; A 18 year old 15hp i

" Favbal; A 18 year old 15hp isn't worth much,so you will end up spending more to rebuild it than it's worth after it's rebuilt.The new 15's are stronger,quieter,better running,more fuel efficient,than your 1975.Don't even thing about 4stroke unless you like more maint.more weight,and less torque, and they are more expensive to buy than 2strokes. Zeke "

" I disagree on the value of a

" I disagree on the value of a 18 year old 15 hp. I would rebuild. ive been workng on a old 15 myself and find it to be a powerful fairly dependable motor, and this one spent the last 10 years in storage and needed all sorts of TLC. True, It can be expensive to have a real outboard shop fix, but with some time, a manule and allot of help off the net, it should not be a lost cause. My motor used is valued around 800, it would cost close to 3 grand to replace New, so you do teh math,, to me, It would be worth Up to half the cost of buying new to repair. "

" KenOHki;You must be talking

" KenOHki;You must be talking about canadian money a 2003 Johnson 15hp 2cycle is $2210.00,and it is a lot better engine,I'm sorry he is speaking about a 28year old motor,which might be worth that much if you're talking in canadian dollars,but not in U.S.Dollars!! Zeke "

" After calling every boat dea

" After calling every boat dealer in houston today looking for a used motor between 15-25 horse with a tiller, nothing special any brand, and hearing 800 dollars for a 1972 evinrude 15 hp. that needed a tuneup I'd keep it too It might be an investment
In all of Houston and the surrounding 100 miles I only found 7 motors in that slot limit. They are charging outrageous prices. and people are buying them "

Thank You all for your input.

Thank You all for your input. I will update as soon as I decide on what to do. Sorry it took a while to update. Don't get on the net as often as I used to. Thanks again.

Back