Logo

Bukh DV engine

T

Tommy Petri

"Hello,
I have bought a new B

"Hello,
I have bought a new BUKH DV7 marine diesel. It’s based on a Farymann 18W engine.

I’m really confused about the lack of a proper air filter – it’s just an empty can on the air intake.
The can has a strainer with big holes (sq. mm) for air inlet. Anyone knowing about it ?
I have never heard of marine engines without air filter. Experience of Bukh DV7?
Regards,
Tommy"

"My Bukh DV8 has no air filter

"My Bukh DV8 has no air filter. It is 23yrs old, starts easily and runs nicely."

My Bukh also has a strainer ty

My Bukh also has a strainer type air filter. Good for keeping out nuts and bolts but not dirt and grit. I intend to replace it with a car air filter. Housing and filter about $30 from the auto shop.

Peter

"Many of the older marine engi

"Many of the older marine engines had this can, some just had an intake pipe. This can is a silencer. That is it cuts the noise of the air rushing in. Suprisingly it does a good job. If you think about it, your engine if working on the water and not in some drought ridden wheat field or construction pit where dust and dirt is a factor. If you fit an after market air filter system, make sure you have not added any air restriction."

My dear old Bertie the Bukh &#

My dear old Bertie the Bukh (DV20M) has suffered a minor upset. Does anyone know where I can find the Torque loading figures for the Cylinder Head and the inlet and exhaust valve clearances.

"Tim,
The Torques are;
Cylin

"Tim,
The Torques are;
Cylinder Head 9.5-10.5 KGM (68.7-75.9 FT.LBF you will probably require a special tool which I think is a 19mm crawfoot wrench to tighten the head

Valve clearances;
Inlet 0.25mm (0.01 inch)
Exhaust 0.30mm (0.012 inch"

"I have recently acquired a 40

"I have recently acquired a 40 X Yacht with a BuKh diesel.
I'm told it has a 6 horsepower Bukh diesel and it pushes the boat along quite nicely. It has a sail drive and I'm thinking I should replace the zinc anodes. Does anyone have any information on the typical diameter of the prop shaft for this Bukh, or most Bukh diesels with sail drive.
And if you know any tricks for changing the zinc anodes that would be appreciated as well..
Thanks
Gerard F."

Back