Logo

04 MERCRUISER 50

skinut

"I JUST BOUGHT A 04 GLASTRON S

"I JUST BOUGHT A 04 GLASTRON SX195 WITH A 5.0 LITER/ALPHA DRIVE. THE BOOK LISTS DIFFERENT GREASE FOR THE GIMBAL BEARING, U-JOINTS, COUPLER,... CAN I USE A GOOD MARINE GREASE FOR ALL OR DO I NEED TO BUY 5 GREASE GUNS AND GREASE. IS MERC DOING A SALES JOB OR WHAT?
ALSO, THE BOOK SAYS "YOUR POWER PACKAGE IS EQUIPPED WITH A SEALED ENGINE COUPLE AND PERM-A-LUBE U-JOINTS. THE SEALED COUPLER CAN BE LUBRICATED WITHOUT REMOVING THE STERNDRIVE UNIT." IF IT IS SEALED, WHY GREASE IT AT ALL OR CAN IT BE GREASED? DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY GREASE FITTINGS THERE ARE TO BE GREASED? DO ANY OF THESE GET GREASE FROM INSIDE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT? ALL I SEE IS ONE FITTING ON THE TRANSOM ASSEMBLY TO GREASE THE GIMBALL BEARING. HELP!!!!!!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE-VERY MUCH !!!"

"1) Think the spline greas

"1) Think the spline grease is slightly differet. I've been using marine grease for all three for a while... so i hope you can. :)

Get yourself a nice set of service manuals. See column at right.

2)Coupler: Accessed from inside the boat, if the engine coupler has a grease fitting, grease it. My manuals show that the MCM Sealed Steel Hub Coupler has a grease fitting. Can be serviced with the drive in place.

3)U-joints: may or may not have grease fittings. Yours likely do not. Should be good for the life unless you have a bad drive bellows. Serviced only with the drive off, btw.
4)Gimble bearing: fitting on the side of the unit near the transom.
5)prop hub splines(no fitting)
6)stearing gear inside boat
7)bearings on either side of drive. external.

Tis all the grease points i can think of... if that helps.

DH"

"coupler has grease zerks. wet

"coupler has grease zerks. wether You can access them depends on the boat. gotta get behind engine. perma-lube u-joints have no zerks. cant grease 'em. just replace when bad. use good marine grease. spline grease has higher pressure rating. just keep it greased and don't panic. if Your next post is not all capitals, I will take it as a good sign."

"Marty:
Sometimes, in order

"Marty:
Sometimes, in order to see the zerk fitting on the coupler's shaft, you may have to crank the engine a "hair" since its position depends where the engine stops.

When greasing the gimbal bearing, I do it when the engine is idling in order to distribute the lube around the bearing. Directly behind the zerk fitting is a passage that leads to a hole in the bearing casing for lubricant to enter the bearing which should have been installed in-line with the hole in the casing. Guy"

"I use a good marine grade &#4

"I use a good marine grade (water/wash resistant) grease for everything.
A flexible hose for the grease gun makes getting to the coupler a whole lot easier. Even with that, I usually need an extra pair of hands to pump the grease gun once I get it hooked up to the zerc. The other three zercs on the outside are easy enough.
For the steering gear it's easier to squirt some on you finger tips and reach back in there and cover the piston tail rod and push some into the pivot joints. I like to give the throttle linkages some loving too. For that, grease or even some heavy gear oil works well enough."

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP. TH

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP. THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE FOR DUMMIES LIKE MYSELF.I AM PRETTY MECHANICALLY MINDED BUT ALL THE DIFFERENT GREASE RECOMENDATIONS AND "SEALED" WORDING HAD ME SCRATCHING MY HEAD!
THANKS AGAIN.
MARTY

Someone just told me to make s

Someone just told me to make sure not to use 2-4-C w/teflon for anything with bearings. They said the bearings will slide instead of roll. also said it states it in the owners manual. I haven't had a chance to check but it is food for thought.

Back