Logo

Lifter Noise 502 cid 400hp

stumedic

Contributing Member
"Hi guys, I'm old to boati

"Hi guys, I'm old to boating but new to Crusaders. I just purchased a new/old boat that is Crusader 502 cid powered. I don't have all the engine info handy but the engine was installed in the early 90's and the hobbs meter shows less than 400 hrs. The engine is immaculate and was always yard maintained. Anyway, on cold start up the lifters are very noisy for about 20 secs. Then they shut up. According to the previous owner and another big block Crusader owner in the marina this is normal for these engines. I recall from my hot rodding days that hydraulic lifter chevys had a lifter adjustment-loosen the rocker nut till they tap and then tighten until they're quiet-then another turn preload. Same for the Crusaders? Thanks."

"There is a product called Mor

"There is a product called Morey's Oil Stabilizer or other names for the same formula are Lucas, or XM5. If you put it into the engine as directed it will eliminate the lifter noise and will increase performance and fuel economy. It is not “snake oil” and does what they claim. It was invented by a Clayton Morey about 50 years ago. I have used it for everything from soup to nuts for 25 years. It will not void warrantees."

Thanks Dwight. I will give it

Thanks Dwight. I will give it a try. Still like to know if the lifters are adjustable though and if the noise on startup is "normal" as I've been told? Thanks again.

"Stu, If the engine is from

"Stu, If the engine is from the early 90s it has adjustable lifters. The later models (Gen V and Gen VI) are not adjustable.

I would try and adjust them if it were mine, just be sure to bring it up to temp first.

Rick"

"Thanks Rick. I believe the en

"Thanks Rick. I believe the engine is a gen IV but I'll have to check. Anyway, the engine has plenty of oil pressure, no bottom end noises-only the cold start lifter tick. If they're adjustable I will certainly do it. Stu"

Back