Logo

1982 DT 140 wonbt start

B

Barry Copeland

"We replaced a piston on our e

"We replaced a piston on our engine and now we can't get it started. The problem is annoying because everything seems hooked up ok. If we take the plugs out and turn it over, it turns over fast like it normally would. However, when we put the plugs in, it seems like it wants to bind. If we spray starter fluid into the spark plug holes, it will start for a mini-second. Any help would be very much appreciated."

Yes. My son adjusted the timi

Yes. My son adjusted the timing after we rebuilt the engine. We also took the carbs apart and soaked them in cleaner.

"you need to clean the carbs r

"you need to clean the carbs right
soaking them does nothing, but might make them worse
never soak your carbs, just clean them and use compressed air"

"Well, do you know where I can

"Well, do you know where I can find instructions on overhauling the carbs? I have a Clymer Shop Manual, but it does not give specific details on the carbs. For example, I know I should turn the idle air needle out 1 3/8 turns. What about the other needles? I do not know anything else about the carbs. It could be possible that one of the screws that allow fuel to enter the engine might not be adjusted properly. And BTW - thanks for all of your help! I am missing valuable lake time!"

"1-3/8 for all is the starting

"1-3/8 for all is the starting point
see if u can find the factory manual, they are really good!

it could also be a worn needle and seat or idle air screw"

"Hi Barry
It looks like you h

"Hi Barry
It looks like you have identified one of your main problems as fuel because if you use starter fluid, it will start for a mini-second.This is where you need to be careful,if one of your carbs isn't giving correct fuel it is easy to damage another piston. Here are some tips.
Make up some 30:1 premix fuel and put it in a spray bottle (Starting fluid lacks the lubrication required in a two stroke). Remove the air box and put a squirt of fuel into each carb past the throttle valve,stand well clear and crank. If you get a burst of life from the engine, then its a fuel problem for sure. Dissasemble and redo all your carbs,if you dont have compressed air squirt carbcleaner from the spraycan though all the passages. Dont forget all the carbs have to be adjusted so the throttle valves all start to open at the same time (synchronised). What caused your original piston Failure?"

"There was a hole burned onto

"There was a hole burned onto the surface of the piston. We did not know this originally. We were on the lake and where it usually took about a tank a day, it took a tank to get from the launch site to the fishing hole and back. We assumed there was dirt behind the carb that caused the holw to burn onto the piston."

I'll have to check because

I'll have to check because it has been a while since I had those pics. Thanks for all of you guys help!

"I could not find any pictures

"I could not find any pictures. All I can describe is if you look at a watch, the hole is near 5 AM and it was about as close to the edge as a quarter laid on top of the pistonfrom the edge. I was always told that it was from dirt that got behind the carbs. You could fit a pencil in it."

Back