Logo

DT 50 Thermostat

paulg

"Hi, Can some one tell me if m

"Hi, Can some one tell me if my engine has a thermostat ?

How can i tell if it is working ?

What is the max water temp should I be getting from the tell tale ?

The engine is a DT 50 approx 1981-82 model (blue leg, white cowl).
thanks Paul"

"check out brownspoint.com for

"check out brownspoint.com for part diagrams
yes it has one, either 42C or a 62C one
u need to pull it and check it, i would just replace it"

"thnaks, where abouts is it mo

"thnaks, where abouts is it mounted or located ?

near the water pump ?

where can i access it ?

thanks"

"Just-in-time,

From the dia

"Just-in-time,

From the diagram on brown's, i can not tell if i need to pull the head off, to get the stat out.?

i take it that the 42C opens at 42 deg C.

thanks again."

"thnaks again,

a little hes

"thnaks again,

a little hesitant to pull the cover off as i feel the engine is running well. (you know the saying..if it wokrs dont touch it)

I would have liked to test the stat by maybe , check the water temp, or check for increased flow as the stat opens at the rear of the outboard or prop or tell tale..

Is this possible ?

this is for a peace in mind, although motor goes really well, has been siting for a long while.."

"just in time,

RE : removin

"just in time,

RE : removing the cover for access to the stat,

Is the gasket copper one that can be re-used, if heated or do I have to source a new one ?

Can I access the bypass and poppet from the cover or do i have to go deeper.

thanks"

"call <[img]"http://www.marine

"call
happy.gif
brownspoint"

Hi Paul
The water from the te

Hi Paul
The water from the telltail should be warm to touch. As the thermostat opens you usually see increased discharge of water from the water port at the rear of the engine just below the engine cowl. Check your otemp sensor is working (on engine head by slowly pouring very hot water over it until you get an alarm. if overtemp works you can leave thermostat alone until it lets you down. Better is to replace it about every 4 years use the 42 degree one. The gasket is paper and needs to be replaced too.
cheers sirlespat

"Look at the head of the motor

"Look at the head of the motor, it should be between the two cylinders. It is usually a black rubber piece under a retaining bracket with two wires poking out"

Back